TPO 11 Reading A recent study reveals that people especially young people are reading far less literature novels plays and poems than they used to This is troubling because the trend has unfortunate effects for the reading public for culture in general an

TPO-11
Reading:
A recent study reveals that people especially young people are reading far less literature,novels, plays, and poems, than they used to. This is troubling because the trend has unfortunate effects for the reading public, for culture in general, and for the future of literature itself.

While there has been a decline in book reading generally, the decline has been especially sharp for literature. This is unfortunate because nothing else provides the intellectual stimulation that literature does. Literature encourages us to exercise our imaginations, empathize with others, and expand our understanding of language. So by reading less literature, the reading public is missing out on important benefits.

Unfortunately, missing out on the benefits of literature is not the only problem. What are people reading instead? Consider the prevalence of self-help books on lists of best sellers. These are usually superficial poorly written, and intellectually undemanding. Additionally, instead of sitting down with a challenging novel, many persons are now more likely to turn on the television, watch a music video, or read a Web page. Clearly, diverting time previously spent in reading literature to trivial forms of entertainment has lowered the level of culture in general.

The trend of reading less literature is all the more regrettable because it is taking place during a period when good literature is being written. There are many talented writers today, but theylack an audience. This fact is bound to lead publishers to invest less in literature and so support fewer serious writers. Thus, the writing as well as the reading of literature is likely to decline because of the poor standards of today's readers.

The reading and the lecture are both about the decline in reading literature. The author of the article feels that readers are not interested to read public, culture in general and future of literature. The lecturer disputes the claims made in the article.

According to reading, reading books help people to expand their intellectual stimulation. It is stated that literature encourages people to exercise imagination, empathize with others and expand their understanding of language. This specific argument is challenged by the lecturer. She claims that it's true nowadays people are less interested on literature but they enjoy reading science and politics. As a result, they will be able to stimulate their imagination and understanding.

Secondly, the author of the article suggests that nowadays individuals read best sellers books that are poorly written. The article mentions that many people turn on television to a watch music video or a read Web page. The lecturer, however, asserts that watching movies or music videos does not decline the culture. She goes on to say that Individuals wants to celebrate their culture in different ways because world has been changed.

Finally, the author posits that many talented writers lack an audience to read their good literature. The author contends that reading of literature is to decline because of poor standards of readers. In contrast, the lecturer's stance is that it is happening due to writers faults. She notes that there is difficulty to understand the literatures and readers should not be blamed for it