Home >> Integrated Toefl Writing Essays

TPO-21 - Integrated Writing Task Genetic modification, a process used to change an organism’s genes and hence its characteristics, is now being used to improve trees through genetic modification. It is possible to create trees that produce more fruit, g

mojtabaakbari1992's picture

Genetic modification refers to process to change an organism's genes and characteristics. Using genetic modification is a common process for trees. The reading passage thinks that using modified trees in large scale has a number of benefits. But the lecturer thinks that this method is not as great as it seems and has some drawbacks.
The reading passage thinks that genetically modified trees are harder and more resistant than unmodified trees. The reading passage uses an example of papaya trees in Hawaii, which has been developed against virus that have damaged the native papaya trees. But the lecturer thinks that modified trees are resistant to one condition. They have to design for other conditions to have the ability to stand in them.
The reading passage thinks that modified trees bring number of economy benefits to those grow them. Because, modified trees grow faster and produce greater food. But the lecturer thinks that farmers can't collect the seeds and grow modified trees again. Hence, farmers have to pay for seeds anually and this causes overcharge for farmers.
Finally, the reading passage thinks that genetically modified trees can prevent over exploitation of nature trees. Because many forests around the world are being cut down faster than they can be replaced. But the lecturer thinks that there are some enviromental issues in growing modified trees. The lecturer thinks that modified trees grow aggresively and outcompete other trees for resources.