TPO33: Integrated writing

TPO33: Integrated writing

The article states that there are three theories about the purpose or the meaning of the ancient carved stone balls found in Scotland from the Neolithic period and provides a reason of support to each. However, the professor says that none of the three theories are convincing and refutes each of the author’s reason.

First, the passage claims that the carved stone balls were weapons used in hunting or fighting since they present holes whereby cords could pass and be thrown out. In contrast, the professor says that the Neolithic weapons show signs of wear, if the stone balls used as the weapon for hunting or fighting they would be cracked or have pieces broken. However, the surface of the balls well-formed and no signs of breakage.

Second, the author posits that the carved stone balls used as part of a primitive system to weight or measure quantities of grain or other food. The professor refutes this point by explaining that even though the stone balls have the uniform shape, they were made of different types of stones which have distinctive density. Therefore, they could not have used as weighting reference.

Third, the reading states that the carved stone balls served a social purpose as an important social status of their owners. The professor counters this point by stating that when high-ranking people died in the Neolithic period, they were usually buried with their possessions. However, no carved stone ball found in their tombs which imply that the balls were not social status emblems.

if the stone balls used as the weapon
if the stone balls are used as the weapon

the carved stone balls used as part of a primitive system
the carved stone balls are used as part of a primitive system

no carved stone ball found in their tombs
no carved stone ball are found in their tombs

--------------------