Special Report

Listening audio
Listening level
Advanced

Special Report

1. General Comprehension. True or False Questions.
(1)
The US House Intelligence Committee believes that the damage caused by recent spy cases has cost millions of dollars.
(2)
The Reagan Administration's counter-intelligence programs have been proved quite effective.
(3)
According to Senator Durenberger, though some progress has been made in the counter-intelligence efforts, much more needs to be done.
(4)
According to CIA, forty percent of the diplomatic representatives from the Soviet Union and Warsaw Pact countries in the United States are professional intelligence officers.
(5)
According to the Committee, the Soviet Union and Warsaw Pact countries, apart from the spy work in the United States, also use United Nations organizations to conduct worldwide spying operations.

2. Choose the best answer (a, b, c, or d) to complete each of the following statements.
(1) The report released by the United States Senate Intelligence Committee demands __________.

a. the administration's public acknowledgement of the damages done from espionage b. specific steps to tighten security in the US government and military operation c. extensive changes in US security policies and counter-intelligence d. quick improvement by the Reagan Administration in security
(2) Patrick Leahy believes the most serious threat to national security comes from _________ a. buildup of Soviet arms b. espionage and lax security c. buildup of Soviet military personnel d. breakthrough in weapon development
(3) The Walker-Whitworth spy ring helped the Soviet Union _____________. a. to impair American intelligence operations b. to penetrate some of the most vital parts of US foreign policy structures c. to damage US military plans and capabilities d. to decode American military communications
(4) Senator Durenberger praised the Reagan Administration for ___________. a. tough talks on the issue of national security b. the progress in toughening up security clearance for personnel c. the improvements in its counter-intelligence programs d. the proposed re-investigations of recent spying cases

3. Focusing on Details. Fill in the detailed information according to what you have heard.
(1) The report of the US Senate Intelligence Committee states that the
from
is worse than anyone in the government has yet
. It concludes that
and capabilities
, intelligence operations
. US technological advantages
in some areas because of
. And diplomatic secrets were
.
(2) Durenberger sums up the current situation by saying: "
, too much
, too many
, too little
for securing
, and too little
given to
the very
which spies represent to our
."

4. Paraphrase Senator Durenberger's description of the current security system.

5. Fill in the blanks to complete the following statement.
The Committee makes
specific recommendations, including
  a. greater emphasis on
,
  b. a
system,
  c. more money for
,
and
,
  d. tighter controls on
.

6. Identification. Fill in the following chart concerning the two speakers in the report.
  Name: Durenberger
  State:
  Pol. Affil.:
  Position:
of the Senate Intelligence Committee

Name: Leahy
  State:
  Pol. Affil.:
  Position:
of the Senate Intelligence Committee

Listening answers

Special Report

(1)
(2)
(3)
(4)
(5)

from
. It concludes that
and capabilities
, intelligence operations
. US technological advantages
in some areas because of
. And diplomatic secrets were
.
, too much
, too many
, too little
for securing
, and too little
given to
the very
which spies represent to our
."

Suggested version: There are too many weak points in the national security system and not enough effort has been made to improve it.

The Committee makes
specific recommendations, including
  a. greater emphasis on
,
  b. a
system,
  c. more money for
,
and
,
  d. tighter controls on
.

Name: Durenberger
  State:
  Pol. Affil.:
  Position:
of the Senate Intelligence Committee

Name: Leahy
  State:
  Pol. Affil.:
  Position:
of the Senate Intelligence Committee