GRE General Test: RC-674691 GRE Reading Comprehension

The American people have an incorrect under-standing of what it means to be at war. At least, so argues T.H. Pickett in his conservative interpretation of American military history.

Pickett does present a wealth of examples, along with a refreshingly candid argument that America often goes to war for an abstract ideal such as democratization of societies, world peace, liberty, or freedom. For instance, the Spanish-American War of 1898 was ostensibly a consequence of national enthusiasm for the cause of Cuban liberty. And. more obviously, America's entry into World War I stemmed from a desire to "make the world safe for democracy." Although these observations are supportable, Pickett overstates the case when he argues that these abstract causes typically lead to a war hysteria in which American leadership can no longer enforce any measured policies.
  • Current Page 1
  • Page 2
  • Complete
Consider each of the choices separately and select all that apply.It can be inferred from the description of Pickett’s work that the author believes which of the following?