Bangladeshi students not coming for test barrier, NIT-A official

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Fri, 08/15/2014 - 14:01

Students from Bangladesh are not actually trying for the National Institute of Technology, Agartala (NIT-A), Agartala, because of difficulty of the Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT). Institute Director Dr Gopal Mugeraya said they have opened door for aspirants from the neighbouring country having close proximity with Tripura, but those interested to study in technical streams are clearing SAT for other areas.

“We have high standard teaching facilities, superior faculties and finest campus to invite Bangladeshi students under DASA, a scheme of the union HRD ministry. But it appears that they are clearing SAT to study elsewhere”, Dr Mugeraya said.

Survey revealed that hundreds of Bangladeshi students each year travel to aboard to study technical courses at a high expenditure. The DASA provides an opportunity to them to approach NITs in India, and Agartala could have been suitable because of closeness and easy communication, NIT officials said.

NIT-A which was established as Tripura Engineering College on August 15 in 1965 presently accommodates 3,200 students. This is only of total 30 NITs in India to implement 47percent reservation for ST and SC communities.

“We have best of facilities and staffs, but what we are lacking is Brand-Value. Still we are getting attention of big industry houses like Aditya Birla group, Infosys and TCS”, Dr Gopal Mugeraya said adding they have so far signed ten MOUs with industry specifically on placement issues.

Suggesting that ‘Ranking’ survey by different organisations have no real importance, Director said NIT-A has a 70percent placement record. He opined: ‘Ranking depends on how your want to project an institute”.

NIT-A is celebrating Golden Jubilee this year with support of its 5,000 Alumni. The celebration began on Friday (Independence Day) morning with a colourful rally in Agartala city.