As you read the passage below consider how Leo W Gerard uses evidence such as facts and examples to support claims reasoning to develop ideas and to connect claims and evidence stylistic or persuasive elements such as word choice or appeals to emotion to

As you read the passage below, consider how Leo W. Gerard uses
evidence, such as facts and examples, to support claims
reasoning to develop ideas and to connect claims and evidence
stylistic or persuasive elements, such as word choice or appeals to emotion, to add power to the idea expressed.
Adapted from Leo W. Gerard, “Grading Colleges on Access to the American Dream.” ©2013 by TheHuffingtonPost.com, Inc. Originally published August 26, 2013.
Beginning of reading passage.
Right now, eager 18-year-olds from across the country are tweeting with bravado photos of their newly postered dorm rooms and scanning with private fear their freshmen class schedules. They’re embarking on a journey to capture their piece of the American Dream. . .
To expand access to the dream, President Obama announced . . . that he intends to grade colleges, just as colleges grade students. The U.S. Department of Education will evaluate the affordability of schools based on tuition, scholarships and financial aid. The department will look at outcomes including graduation rates, employment and salaries. Ultimately, Obama would like to reward colleges that earn good grades—those that graduate more students at lower costs. . . . The idea is to restore equal opportunity to attain the American Dream.
The parents and grandparents of today’s 18-year-olds witnessed diminishing access to the dream. When they were teens, in the 1960s and 1970s, they could buy a year of college with three months’ labor in a factory or mill. Also, a summer in a mill with good union wages and benefits persuaded some that this was the life for them, no college necessary.
But too many mills are gone now, lost to government's failure to enforce international trade regulations and to the corporate greed that swapped middle class wages for foreign sweatshop pittances. That means to attain the American Dream, even more youngsters now must get higher education or technical training.
And now, paying for that additional education is much more difficult. One of those old-time mill jobs—if it were still available—wouldn’t cover a year’s tuition now. Over the past three decades, the average tuition at a public four-year college increased more than 250 percent. Meanwhile, typical family income rose only 16 percent.
Tuition has risen even faster than health insurance costs. If the current trend continues through 2016, the cost of a public college diploma will have more than doubled in just 15 years.
Part of the reason for that is dubious expenditures by some schools, including paying coaches and college presidents multi-million dollar salaries and building fancy dormitories and gymnasiums. But a crucial factor is the withdrawal of state and local support for public institutions—from community colleges and trade schools to state-owned colleges and land grant universities. It dropped 24 percent nationally from 2001 to 2011. Adjusted for inflation, it reached a 25-year low in 2012. . . .
The result of these cut backs is that governments shifted costs to the 70 percent of students who attend public colleges and universities as tuition skyrocketed.
For many teenagers, this foreclosed a college degree. It was too daunting to borrow tens of thousands of dollars then graduate into a shaky job market. For other young people, it has meant massive borrowing and debt.
Just a short time ago in the early 1990s, 45 percent of graduates borrowed money, including from family, banks and the government. Now, the figure is more than 66 percent, and that does not include students who borrow from family. . . .
Most student debt is to the federal government, which is now owed $1 trillion. Demos* calculates that to be a $4 trillion lifetime wealth loss for those students. That’s significant both to them and to the economy. They won’t be able to buy as many new cars or refrigerators or infant strollers. So no matter how hard they worked to graduate college and labor on the job, their American Dream is permanently encumbered. In addition, their non-spending impairs the economy. And that diminishes everyone’s American Dream.
The United States has a long history of accepting education as a public responsibility. Publicly funded colleges and universities gave America teachers, engineers, architects, doctors and lawyers who helped build and care for a strong country. . . . These publicly supported institutions also provided scientists and researchers who discovered cures for dread diseases, put astronauts on the moon and invented the cell phone.
America cannot afford to return to the days when only the scions of the wealthiest could attend college. The nation is most prosperous when prosperity is most shared. The administration’s plan to grade colleges and encourage resumed state support for public institutions will help restore equal access to the American Dream.
Beginning of reading passage footnotes.
*A public policy organization that works for equal opportunity in the American economy and equal say in its democracy

In the article " Grading Colleges on Access to the American Dream", Leo W. Gerard argues that the cost of attending universities and colleges has increased considerably in recent years and that regulations should be made in order for the applicants to be able to afford the education these schools offer. Gerard effectively supports his argument by presenting statistics, contradicting the past and the present, and making use of vivid language.

Throughout his address, Gerard uses several figures to deliver an appealing argument. " Over the past three decades, the average tuition at a public four-year college increased more than 250 percent ", he states, while " family income rose only 16 percent". By showing these numbers, the author means to demonstrate the reality of the rising cost of higher education in a transparent, measurable way, which surprises the readers as they may not expect the number to be that high. On the other hand, Gerard also states that the debts all these students receive may reach $1 trillion in total . This, according to him, means these students have to experience a "$4 trillion lifetime wealth loss" . As readers reach this point, they were almost shocked by the surprisingly high numbers the author shows. Since these figures are pure data, which are difficult to oppose, using such statistics contributes the author's credibility and makes the readers more likely to believe in his claims. As a result, readers find it impossible not to agree with Gerard that the rising cost of attending universities is overly tremendous.

Gerard's argument is also strengthened by his mentioning how affordable universities were to the earlier generations compared to present days students. He argues that in the 1960s and 1970s, three months of working in a factory or a mill are enough for teens to "buy a year of college", while nowadays, tuition has far excelled wages from such jobs. By referencing to the past, Gerard emphasizes on the excessive changes that have happen to the cost of education universities provide, and at the same time, appeal to the feelings of those in the earlier generations, who are now "parents and grandparents of today’s 18-year-olds ". These people who have lived through the period in which attending universities seems so affordable will find it easy to relate to what Gerard writes, and therefore, more likely to agree with his claims. Together with the figures Gerard displays, this contrast between the past and the present successfully capture Gerard's claim that the tuition has increased far too much.

The final rhetorical technique that Gerard employs to further his argument is his use of vivid linguistic choices. Such phrases as "embarking on a journey", "capture their piece of the American Dream" and " permanently encumbered" act as a tool to draw the readers in the author's view emotionally. Upon noticing these phrases, the audience directly feel a sense of hope in the first two phrases " embarking on a journey" and "capture their piece of the American Dream", and also a sense of disappointment in the last phrase "permanently encumbered"

Responding to the dramatically growing cost of tertiary education in the US, Leo W. Gerard makes an argument this trend should not be continued and that students should receive such educational opportunities without concerning about their financial aspects of . By utilizing techniques of presenting figures, displaying the contrast between the past and present, and making use of appealing language, Gerard persuades the audience of his claim.

Sentence: By referencing to the past, Gerard emphasizes on the excessive changes that have happen to the cost of education universities provide, and at the same time, appeal to the feelings of those in the earlier generations, who are now 'parents and grandparents of today's 18-year-olds '.
Description: A verb 'to have', uninflected present tense, infinitive or is not usually followed by a verb, base: uninflected present, imperative or infinitive
Suggestion: Refer to have and happen

--------------------