Award-winning Storybook Service, Speakaboos, Premiers iPad App That Inspires A Love Of Reading In Children

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Tue, 07/16/2013 - 11:01

Tue, Jul 16, 2013, 10:01 AM EDT - U.S. Markets close in 5 hrs 59 mins

NEW YORK, July 16, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Multi-platform storybook subscription service Speakaboos -- whose Web site platform is enjoyed by thousands of children in homes, classrooms and libraries -- launches its first iPad application.

(Logo: http://photos.prnewswire.com/prnh/20130716/NY47158LOGO )

The Speakaboos app introduces children ages 2-6 to an ever expanding library of more than 150 storybooks with rich interactive features. The app will encourage kids to read and keep them reading more by providing on-the-go access via mobile devices…just in time for summer!

The Speakaboos service was developed by Dr. Alice Wilder -- the mind behind research and testing for Blue's Clues and SuperWHY! -- and the development team that built NickJr.com.  Dr. Alice carefully curates Speakaboos' library around children's interests and tests each story with kids to ensure reading comprehension and engagement, the first time, this approach has been applied to children's books.

Speakaboos' titles are from well-known publishers and content owners such as The Jim Henson Company, ABRAMS, and Charlesbridge and include beloved classics such as The Three Little Pigs and new storybooks such as The Haunted Party, Aggie and Ben, and The ABC Song, with additional titles added weekly.  Within the app, stories come alive through captivating narration, read-along text, animated characters, story-based games and touchscreen interactions that support comprehension.

"Speakaboos is the perfect solution for parents who want their children to be engaged AND educated during digital screen time.  By bringing stories to life in a child-directed experience, we are inspiring children to read and read more -- our Web site subscribers read more than 40 storybooks per month on average," said Noelle Millholt, COO and Co-Founder of Speakaboos. "Best of all, families can access a library of stories affordably, for less per month than the price of a single app." 

The Speakaboos app is free to download in the App Store and comes with three free stories that users can keep forever.  Families can subscribe for as little as $4.99 per month or annually for $39.99 (for a limited time) giving them access anywhere, anytime and on any device to the full Speakaboos library.  Android and iPhone applications will be released in upcoming months. 

About Speakaboos
Speakaboos is an award-winning subscription service that delivers educational, entertaining, interactive picture books to children 2 - 6 years old. Speakaboos features one of the largest catalogs of children's interactive picture books developed in partnership with leading publishers such as The Jim Henson Company, ABRAMS, DK, Orca and Charlesbridge. Speakaboos is enjoyed on computers, tablets, and mobile devices and is used by thousands of students in hundreds of homes, classrooms and libraries worldwide. Speakaboos educational value has been recognized by the American Library Association, Education World, the Aspen Institute and O'Reilly Media. For more information, please visit www.speakaboos.com 

Quotes are real-time for NASDAQ, NYSE, and NYSEAmex when available. See also delay times for other exchanges. Quotes and other information supplied by independent providers identified on the Yahoo! Finance partner page. Quotes are updated automatically, but will be turned off after 25 minutes of inactivity. Quotes are delayed at least 15 minutes. All information provided "as is" for informational purposes only, not intended for trading purposes or advice. Neither Yahoo! nor any of independent providers is liable for any informational errors, incompleteness, or delays, or for any actions taken in reliance on information contained herein. By accessing the Yahoo! site, you agree not to redistribute the information found therein.

Fundamental company data provided by Capital IQ. Historical chart data and daily updates provided by Commodity Systems, Inc. (CSI). International historical chart data and daily updates provided by Morningstar, Inc.

Yahoo! - ABC News Network

Article references
finance.yahoo.com