Funding a U.S. education

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Sun, 05/26/2013 - 06:00

Hundreds of students and their friends logged onto Facebook on May 15, 2013, to learn more about studying in the United States, how to fund their education, as well as clarifying their doubts on the U.S. Student visa process. Heera Kamboj (Information Officer and Press Attaché, U.S. Consulate General, Chennai), Dr. Srilakshmi Ramakrishnan (Senior Adviser, EducationUSA Advising Services), and Tom Montgomery (Vice Consul, U.S. Consulate General Chennai) answered questions from students all over India.

I've gotten an admit from a couple of universities in the U.S and I wish to show an educational loan for I20 purposes. However it says in the university's financial guarantee form it says that loans are not accepted and I need to show liquid cash. Kindly guide me. Also are there scholarships or other forms of financial aid available for Indian students going to the U.S? What would be the best way to fund my studies?

Educational loans are considered a valid form of funding for purposes of obtaining a student visa to travel to the U.S. We can’t provide personal financial advice since each situation is different, but clearly scholarships are a great way to fund your education. For information on scholarship opportunities and advice on funding your education, check out: http://www.educationusa.info/5_steps_to_study/graduate_step_3_make_your_budget.php

I am in my final year of B.Tech (EEE branch). After my B.Tech I want to go to the U.S. for higher studies. I am interested in M.S in Solar Engineering and also in Food processing. Which course is better for my career?

Many students ask questions about this field. Since each student is different with unique needs, EducationUSA offers a self-assessment tool to help you define your priorities. Check it out, here. Deciding on the right school for you requires a lot of research. In order to pick the right school for you, you can check out our handy guide. For identifying the schools that offer a Master’s degree in your areas of interest, please also visit: www.petersons.com or www.gradschools.com.

My brother has been admitted to the MS program at TAMU for Fall 2013. We're planning to show our family funds to cover the fees for 2 years. Would that suffice to get F-1 visa or is it mandatory to get an education loan for F-1 Visa?

It is not mandatory to get a loan. Family funds are certainly acceptable, as are scholarships.

Is a educational loan from a bank in India a potential source of funding proof? Will the consulate accept it? Will the cash in the bank be cross checked at the time of visa interview?

Educational loans, in addition to scholarships, liquid assets, fixed deposits, and other cash are all valid forms of funding for visa purposes. Officers will sometimes verify bank statements with the actual banks to check if a student applicant can indeed fund the education. Sometimes applicants submit fake bank statements. Consular Officers are quite good at catching this type of fraud. You must bring legitimate documents to your interview because submitting fake bank documents could result in a permanent ban on entering the U.S. and arrest by local authorities. Honesty is always a requirement.

How do I apply for J1 visa for nonstandard training in U.S. (one-year courses in various sub-specialities like in musculoskeletal imaging after completion of medical post graduation MD/DNB radiology in India)? Also, do we have to take up the USMLE steps for these training programmes?

The J1 visa is an excellent opportunity for exchange visitors to enhance their skills in the United States. The steps for application are quite straightforward and can be found at www.ustraveldocs.com/in. Some programs require the USMLE, so you should check with the individual programs to inquire about this. If you are only going to the U.S. to take the USMLE exam, you can do so with a simple B2 tourist visa.

How can we do valid online courses from the U.S.?

Online courses are becoming more and more popular. Please check the following websites for some possible options:

www.geteducated.com

www.degree.net

www.detc.org (Distance Education and Training Council – recognized accrediting body for distance education institutions) Some universities in the U.S. will even allow you to take classes for free online, but not for course credit.

For someone who has completed B.Sc Psychology here, what are the post-graduate courses available in the US? What about scholarships and loans?

To be eligible for a Masters program in the United States, students should have the equivalent of a U.S. Bachelors Degree, which is typically requires four years of study after high school. However, some universities will review an applicant's profile or candidacy and accept a three-year undergraduate degree on a case-by-case basis. U.S. institutions might accept a three-year degree from an NAAC accredited institution in India with a rating of “A”. Since this depends on the individual university, you will need to check with them directly.

Could you give me a list of the exams I shoud prepare for in order to be able to enter a university in the U.S. for doing MS C.Sc (which offers scholarships)?

It would be good to think about taking the Graduate Record Examination (GRE), and the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS).

I am a plus-two student and would like to pursue an undergraduate course in architecture in one of the Ivy League universities, after which I would like get a masters degree (M.Arch) and conclude with a Ph.D in architecture. My family income is less than 20,000 dollars and hence we cannot afford the exorbitant fees. Please suggest some financial aids.

A lot of students are not even aware of the wonderful undergraduate opportunities in the U.S., since most only think of graduate studies. To pursue your undergrad education at an Ivy League university, you will need to have a VERY strong academic profile. Please visit the individual university websites to understand whether their funding distribution is need-based or need-blind. If need-based, the student will have to demonstrate financial need in order to be awarded any funding; if need-blind, the university will award funding based on the student’s academic performance and overall review of candidacy, irrespective of whether the student demonstrates financial need or not. Do not restrict yourself only to considering Ivy League schools, since there are other schools that are equally good and might best suit your needs and field of studies. For more information about undergraduate education and the overall application process, please visit: http://www.educationusa.info/5_steps_to_study/undergraduate_step_1_research_your_options.php. You can also visit us in person for one-on-one counseling at EducationUSA, located at the U.S.-India Educational Foundation at the U.S. Consulate General Chennai.

I have found need-based scholarships and merit scholarships in university websites. However, I am not aware of fellowships for law schools. I have read about fellowships in the USIEF website. None of them seems to cover a threeyear J.D. (law degree) in U.S.

International students wanting to pursue a Law degree in the United States are required to have the equivalent of a U.S. undergraduate degree. Therefore, those with 3-year undergraduate degrees will require one more year of study to become eligible for Law School. Students are required to complete the LSAT (Law School Admission Test) exam – details can be found here: www.lsac.org. Eligibility for most financial aid options requires U.S. citizenship or Legal Permanent Residency. International students might be eligible for any financial aid that is offered by their department or university if they meet the requisite criteria. Please check with the individual departments at your university of choice for available funding options.

Regarding fellowships on the USIEF website, please note that these are typically not available to students who wish to pursue full-time education at a U.S. university, except for the following fellowship – Fulbright-Nehru Master’s Fellowship. This fellowship is offered to outstanding Indian nationals to pursue their higher education at a U.S. university in any of the listed fields of study. Please check the details here: http://usief.org.in/Fellowships/Fulbright-Nehru-Fellowships.aspx

Could you please give me the details about which universities are offering funding for MS in mechanical engineering for spring 2014?

Although, some schools also allow students to start school in January, most schools start their academic year in either August or September. There are more options available for students who want to start in the Fall. Also, make sure you understand the U.S. admissions process and timeline. For example, if you want to attend school starting in September 2014, you should be researching schools right now, and should be taking the required exams and filling out the application starting in September 2013. For identifying the schools that offer a Master’s degree in Mechanical Engineering, please visit: www.petersons.com or www.gradschools.com to do specific research relevant to your interests. Please also visit http://www.educationusa.info/5_steps_to_study/graduate_step_3_make_your_budget.php for information about scholarship search engines that allow you to search for funding based on your discipline of study.

How about the security of students studying in the U.S.?

Most universities will have an internal security response system in place to warn their students, faculty, and staff about emergencies, such as SMS alerts, e-mail alerts, or even a campus television or radio station. Many universities also have local police that patrol their campuses. The international student's office, which most universities have, might be able to answer your question more specifically. Generally speaking, the U.S. is very safe and has some of the safest big cities in the world. High profile cases in the media do not always represent the true college experience that many students enjoy safely.