GRE® Program's Pipeline to Graduate and Business Schools Grows 7 Percent

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Fri, 11/21/2014 - 19:36

New report provides comprehensive, up-to-date information about GRE
® test takers worldwide

PRINCETON, N.J., Nov. 17, 2014 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- The 2014 report, Snapshot of the Individuals Who Took the GRE® revised General Test, provides volume and performance information on test takers who took the test during the 2013–2014 testing year, and for the first time, volume information on the GRE test-taker population between August 2011 and June 2014.

View photo

.

ETS logo.

The new report, which institutions can use to make more informed recruitment, admissions and fellowship decisions, shows that the number of unique GRE test takers grew by 7 percent compared to the 2012–13 testing year, and overall, the 2013–14 GRE demographic distribution remains consistent with that of 2012–13 and 2011–12.

In addition, the number of GRE test takers interested in business, as reflected by intended graduate major, increased by 22 percent, and test takers specifically citing MBA as a degree objective grew by 28 percent compared to last year. Engineering (+24 percent) and physical sciences (+22 percent) also showed dramatic increases as intended graduate majors in the 2013–14 testing year compared to 2012–13. 

"The GRE Program is in a unique position to provide score users with insight into the pipeline to graduate and business schools," says David Payne, ETS Vice President & COO of Global Education. "Although the future of graduate education is predicated on many factors, some of which go beyond the GRE test, these data, along with our volume growth, indicate that the pipeline of individuals pursuing graduate education through the GRE Program is diverse and growing," says Payne.

Furthermore, these data, when used appropriately, can help score users learn more about the test-taker population, as well as factors related to performance on the GRE revised General Test.

While the data provide nuances in terms of populations and overall flow, there are some meaningful differences between this report and the November 2013 Snapshot report including:

• GRE volumes continue to grow. The number of unique test takers grew by 7 percent compared to the prior year.
  • U.S. citizen volume continues to be stable; but there was a noteworthy 18 percent increase in non-U.S. citizens who now account for more than one-third of the GRE population.
  • There were also interesting differences as to where individuals chose to take the test this year compared to the prior testing year:
    • The number of individuals who tested in the United States or Europe remained relatively consistent or showed slight increases compared to prior year.
    • The number of individuals who tested in India grew nearly 60 percent.
    • The number of individuals who tested in China decreased 7 percent.
    • The number of individuals who tested in other regions of the world increased by nearly 14 percent.

The data used in the analyses were based on unique test takers who took the GRE revised General Test during the noted time periods with valid scores on all three measures of the test. The full report is available at www.ets.org/gre/snapshot.

For more information about the GRE revised General Test or to register to take the test, visit www.ets.org/gre

About ETS
At ETS, we advance quality and equity in education for people worldwide by creating assessments based on rigorous research. ETS serves individuals, educational institutions and government agencies by providing customized solutions for teacher certification, English language learning, and elementary, secondary and postsecondary education, and by conducting education research, analysis and policy studies. Founded as a nonprofit in 1947, ETS develops, administers and scores more than 50 million tests annually — including the TOEFL
® and TOEIC
® tests, the GRE
® tests and The Praxis Series
® assessments — in more than 180 countries, at over 9,000 locations worldwide. www.ets.org

Logo - http://photos.prnewswire.com/prnh/20120110/DC33419LOGO

SOURCE Educational Testing Service

Article references
news.yahoo.com