​Money matters

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Sun, 07/07/2013 - 23:00

John Hogan, vice president administration, Newcastle University, UK, talks to Garima Upadhyay Rawat on a range of scholarships for Indian students.

What are the new postgraduate and research programmes introduced by Newcastle?

The university is growing its portfolio of courses to appeal to the Indian market. The rapid development in the field of management, biomedicine, engineering, logistics and architecture in India has resulted in a huge market-demand for skilled professionals in these disciplines . With this in mind, we have recently announced six new postgraduate and research programmes in the field of architecture, communications, logistics, agriculture and biomedicine.

As part of the programmes, the new courses include architectural theory and criticism, cardiovascular science in health and diseases, cross-cultural communication , neuromuscular diseases, rail freight and logistics and sustainable agriculture and food security.

What is the minimum eligibility criterion to apply for these courses?

These courses are offered full-time over a period of 12 months. Candidates with good academic scores (generally 70% and above for biosciences and 60% and above for others) in their Bachelor's are eligible to apply. However, each application is dealt with on an individual basis for the relevant knowledge and skills of the applicant.

Apart from academic requirements, international students need to demonstrate proficiency in the English language in order to be considered for an admission to the university . Although the English language requirements are different for each course, under the general guideline, the university requires an IELTS score of 6.5 or TOEFL internet based 90, PTE Academic 62. Students can apply for these courses online.

Are there any scholarships that Indian students can avail of?

This year, we have announced eight Newcastle University India Scholarships (NUIS PG) worth £2,000 for high-achieving Indian students commencing their postgraduate studies in September 2013. In addition, we are also offering Newcastle University International Postgraduate Scholarship (NUIPS) worth £1,500 for international students based on merit and a good English score. A number of global leader scholarships have been developed to support the best students in India by offering tuition fee reductions of £2,500, for a full-time MBA programme. Our faculty of science, engineering and agriculture and our faculty of medical sciences offer scholarships ranging from £1,000 to £1,500 to international students for specialisations in mechanical, electrical and electronics, computing science,

chemical engineering and biosciences. Additionally, our school of electrical and electronic engineering (EEE) is offering UG scholarship worth £3,000 per year. Other scholarships include International undergraduate merit scholarship, overseas research scholarships, alumni tuition fee discount and international family discounts (www.ncl.ac.uk).