Smith Micro Demystifies ANDSF at GSMA North America

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Tue, 10/15/2013 - 19:05

Tue, Oct 15, 2013, 6:05 PM EDT - U.S. Markets closed

ALISO VIEJO, CA--(Marketwired - Oct 15, 2013) - Smith Micro Software, Inc. (NASDAQ: SMSI), a leading provider of wireless and mobility solutions, today announced it will lead two educational sessions on emerging industry standards at GSMA North America (GSMANA), October 14-16 in Vancouver, B.C. Spanning more than 220 countries, the GSMA represents the interests of mobile operators worldwide, and Smith Micro has been an active member in GSMA since 2009. The company is also releasing a new whitepaper on Access Network Discovery and Selection Function (ANDSF) to help clarify the role, functionality and potential value of this standard to wireless service providers.

As a pioneer in mobile connectivity, Smith Micro has deep experience and leadership in the development and commercial deployment of wireless industry standards. For the 3GPP's ANDSF standard, Smith Micro was the first to offer an easy to use toolkit, NetWise I/O, to validate interoperability between network infrastructure and mobile devices using ANDSF policy management. The company recently completed ANDSF interoperability testing with Openet, a provider of real-time transaction management software and services.

In a session focused on ANDSF, Smith Micro's vice president of research and development, Dzung Tran, will provide attendees with an introduction to the ANDSF network standard, and will outline why ANDSF is a critical building block for operators trying to create a seamless experience for users connecting to heterogeneous networks. Additionally, he will outline ANDSF deployment scenarios, possible extensions and advanced use cases. Tran's session is scheduled to take place on October 16 at 11:15am PT.

Chris Heistad, manager of software architecture and platforms at Smith Micro, will present the Open Connection Manager API (OpenCMAPI) standard from the Open Mobile Alliance (OMA). In this session, Heistad will provide a detailed overview of the OMA OpenCMAPI specification, explain the value of a connection manager API to the wireless industry, and review the OMA's roadmap for OpenCMAPI. Heistad is scheduled to speak on October 16 at 10:30am PT.

"As a contributor and user of these specifications, we believe it's important for all members of the wireless ecosystem to understand how these standards will enable truly seamless mobility for end users and open new opportunities for service providers," said David Sperling, CTO at Smith Micro. "ANDSF is a complex subject that can be very confusing to differentiate from other initiatives focused on network interoperability. Our goal is to help clarify what ANDSF is, including its limitations, and most importantly, provide guidance that will help service providers maximize value from ANDSF investments."

For more information on ANDSF, download Smith Micro's latest whitepaper, "The Case for ANDSF: Where Operators Can Find Value".

About Smith Micro Software, Inc.:
Smith Micro Software provides solutions that simplify, secure and enhance the mobile experience. Our portfolio includes a wide range of applications that manage broadband connectivity, data traffic, devices, voice and video communications over wireless networks. With 30 years of experience developing world-class client and server software, Smith Micro helps the leading mobile network operators, device manufacturers and enterprises increase efficiency and capitalize on the growth of mobile-connected consumers and workforces. For more information, visit smithmicro.com. (NASDAQ: SMSI)

Safe Harbor Statement:
This release contains forward-looking statements that involve risks and uncertainties, including without limitation, forward-looking statements relating to the company's financial prospects and other projections of its performance, the existence of new market opportunities and interest in the company's products and solutions, and the company's ability to increase its revenue and regain profitability by capitalizing on these new market opportunities and interest and introducing new products and solutions. Among the important factors that could cause actual results to differ materially from those expressed or implied in the forward-looking statements are changes in demand for the company's products from its customers and their end-users, customer concentration given that the majority of our sales depend on a few large client relationships, including Sprint, new and changing technologies, customer acceptance and timing of deployment of those technologies, new and continuing adverse economic conditions, and the company's ability to compete effectively with other software companies. These and other factors discussed in the company's filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission, including its filings on Forms 10-K and 10-Q, could cause actual results to differ materially from those expressed or implied in any forward-looking statements. The forward-looking statements contained in this release are made on the basis of the views and assumptions of management regarding future events and business performance as of the date of this release, and the company does not undertake any obligation to update these statements to reflect events or circumstances occurring after the date of this release.

Smith Micro, NetWise, and the Smith Micro logo are registered trademarks or trademarks of Smith Micro Software, Inc. All other trademarks and product names are the property of their respective companies.

Quotes are real-time for NASDAQ, NYSE, and NYSEAmex when available. See also delay times for other exchanges. Quotes and other information supplied by independent providers identified on the Yahoo! Finance partner page. Quotes are updated automatically, but will be turned off after 25 minutes of inactivity. Quotes are delayed at least 15 minutes. All information provided "as is" for informational purposes only, not intended for trading purposes or advice. Neither Yahoo! nor any of independent providers is liable for any informational errors, incompleteness, or delays, or for any actions taken in reliance on information contained herein. By accessing the Yahoo! site, you agree not to redistribute the information found therein.

Fundamental company data provided by Capital IQ. Historical chart data and daily updates provided by Commodity Systems, Inc. (CSI). International historical chart data and daily updates provided by Morningstar, Inc.

Yahoo! - ABC News Network