TESOL International Convention to Bring Thousands of English Language Educators to Toronto

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Mon, 03/23/2015 - 19:38

Alexandria, VA (PRWEB) March 23, 2015

This week, approximately 6,000 educators from across the globe will come to Toronto, Ontario, Canada, for the 2015 TESOL International Convention & English Language Expo. The largest of its kind in the world, the annual convention is organized by TESOL International Association, the professional association for more than 12,500 teachers of English to speakers of other languages.

In support of the convention theme, “Crossing Borders, Building Bridges,” attendees will have access to nearly 1,000 educational sessions presented by experts on a broad variety of topics, including language testing and assessment, technology in language learning, bilingual education, and standards. The programs will provide valuable opportunities to cross familiar boundaries of knowledge and experience and to build new understandings and networks across various contexts.

International keynote speakers include Sonia Nieto, who will discuss working with students and communities from diverse backgrounds in “Teachers’ Roles in Crossing Borders and Building Bridges”; Jim Cummins, a leader in research on literacy development in educational contexts characterized by linguistic diversity, who will present “Evidence-Based TESOL: Teaching Through a Multilingual Lens”; Jun Liu, Lourdes Ortega, and Michael Byrum who will lead a panel discussion titled “Redefining Communicative Competence and Redesigning ELT in the 21st Century” that aims to challenge early models of communicative competence and create contemporary ELT frameworks; and TESOL President Yilin Sun, who will shed light on her cross-cultural teaching, learning, and research experience in China, Canada, and the United States in “Building Bridges: Journey to a Better Future of TESOL”

Convention highlights include

TESOL gratefully acknowledges its strategic partners, National Geographic Learning, ETS/TOEFL, AFT–American Federation of Teachers, British Council, and TutorGroup, and all its other partners for their support of the 2015 convention.

Visit the TESOL convention website for complete information.

About TESOL International Association

Founded in 1966, TESOL International Association is a professional community of educators, researchers, administrators, and students committed to advancing excellence in English language teaching for speakers of other languages worldwide. With more than 12,500 members representing more than 150 countries, TESOL fosters the exchange of ideas, research, and peer-to-peer knowledge, and provides expertise, resources, and a powerful voice on issues affecting the profession. Through professional development programs, its international conference, special interest groups, and publications, TESOL engages tens of thousands of professionals to collaborate globally and create a world of opportunity for millions of people of all ages who want to learn English. For more information, please visit http://www.tesol.org.

Article references
www.prweb.com