ZERO Donates RVs To Provide Free Prostate Cancer Testing To High-Risk Men

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Wed, 09/24/2014 - 17:33

WASHINGTON, Sept. 24, 2014 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- ZERO - The End of Prostate Cancer recently announced the donation of two mobile health vehicles to LSU Health Sciences Center and Buddhist Tzu Chi Medical Foundation. Through a competitive process, the vehicles have been awarded to two reputable health service providers. Both institutions that share ZERO's mission and will leverage the donation to ensure high-risk men continue to receive free prostate cancer testing via the mobile vehicles. The announcement was made at the Mobile Health Clinic Association's 2014 Forum on September 22 in Savannah, GA.

View photo

.

ZERO - The End of Prostate Cancer logo.

"At ZERO, we passionately believe knowledge is power in beating cancer, and our commitment to saving lives through education and early detection is steadfast," said ZERO CEO Jamie Bearse. "The Drive has provided critical access to many men who would not have been tested, alerting thousands to important health information and saving lives. We're very excited for our new partners, LSU Health Sciences Center and Buddhist Tzu Chi Medical Foundation, to carry on ZERO's mission through the Drive program."

Since 2002, ZERO pioneered mobile prostate cancer testing to provide more than 123,000 men at more than 630 community events with free testing with the use of two mobile medical vehicles through the ZERO Prostate Cancer Drive. In 2014, we reevaluated how best to deliver these much needed free health services and looked to partners for innovative and creative ways to continue the program's success and activities in support of our mission to end prostate cancer.

"We are thrilled to receive this mobile clinic," said LSU Health Shreveport's Feist-Weiller Cancer Center Director Glenn Mills, M.D.  "It will help us expand our mobile clinic program and reach men in Northwest Louisiana, many who would not be screened otherwise. Feist-Weiller will also be using the van to launch an education campaign against obesity in cancer."

"We are happy and feel grateful to partner with ZERO on early detection of prostate cancer," said Tzu Chi's CEO William Keh, M.D. "With the addition of the mobile van, we add PSA testing to our dental and vision mobile clinic services. We believe this new initiative will help save lives."

Starting in 2015, ZERO's partners will leverage this tremendous opportunity to be on the forefront of the fight against prostate cancer, the most commonly diagnosed cancer in men, by offering free prostate cancer testing services to high risk and underserved men in their local communities. The partner organizations are tied into medical establishments to ensure adequate and timely follow up care for men with abnormal results and provision of treatment services as needed. ZERO will provide partners with a suite of educational materials about prostate cancer to create awareness and educate men and their families.

For more information about the Drive and testing opportunities near you, visit www.zerocancer.org.

Logo - http://photos.prnewswire.com/prnh/20130129/DC50244LOGO

SOURCE ZERO - The End of Prostate Cancer

Article references
news.yahoo.com