In an effort to encourage ecologically sustainable forestry practices an international organization started issuing certifications to wood companies that meet high ecological standards by conserving resources and recycling materials Companies that receive

The lecture refutes the claims made by the passage that "ecocertified" wood will not be successful in American market. It provides three reasons to support said claim.

Firstly, the passage argues that because American customers have already been exposed to too much marketing and advertisments, they will not take the "ecocertified" claim made by the wood companies at face value. The lecture contradicts this statement by stating that while it is true American consumers do not believe in claims made by the company regarding its products, they do have confidence in independent consumer agencies which have international reputation. This argument weakens the passage's claims.

Secondly, getting the wood ecocertified will most definitely increase its selling price which will deter the American consumers from buying them since they have a tendency to always buy the cheaper products. The lecture however claims that until and unless the price difference is not too much (close to 5% increase), the American consumers will favour the ecocertified wood since they have become environmentally conscious in recent years.

Finally, the passage also claims that since most American wood companies do not export their products and mainly focus on local business, this combined with the other two factors previously mentioned implies that there is no need for them to get their products certified. The lecture counters this claim by saying that if American companies ignore the certification, foriegn companies will soon rush to fill the gap thus created in the market and increase competition. Therefore, American companies cannot afford to ignore this certification.