Beginning next month, Dining Services will no longer serve hot breakfast foods at university dining halls. Instead, students will be offered a wide assortment of cold breakfast items in the morning. These cold breakfast foods, such as breads, fruit, and y

Speaking topics in text

Beginning next month, Dining Services will no longer serve hot breakfast foods at university dining halls. Instead, students will be offered a wide assortment of cold breakfast items in the morning. These cold breakfast foods, such as breads, fruit, and yogurt, are healthier than many of the hot breakfast items that we will stop serving, so health-conscious students should welcome this change. Students will benefit in another way as well, because limiting the breakfast selection to cold food items will save money and allow us to keep our meal plans affordable.
Narrator Now listen to two students discussing the announcement. Woman Do you believe any of this? It's ridiculous. Man What do you mean? It is important to eat healthy foods ... Woman Sure it is, but they're saying yogurt's better for you than an omelet ... or than hot cereal? I mean whether something's hot or cold, that shouldn't be the issue. Except maybe on a really cold morning, but in that case, which is going to be better for you-a bowl of cold cereal or a nice warm omelet? It's obvious; there's no question. Man I'm not going to argue with you there. Woman And this whole thing about saving money ... Man What about it? Woman Well, they're actually going to make things worse for us, not better. 'Cause if they start cutting back and we can't get what we want right here, on campus, well, we're going to be going off campus and pay off-campus prices, and you know what? That will be expensive. Even if it's only two or three mornings a week, it can add up.
Narrator The woman expresses her opinion of the change that has been announced. State her opinion and explain her reasons for holding that opinion.

Speaking recording
Speaking category