TPO 01 - Question 3

Speaking topics in text

TPO 01 - Question 3

Speaking category

A sample Answer to this speaking in text:

The author of the letter is opposing the school’s plan of putting a new sculpture on campus, because it’s too expensive and it takes up too much public space. In the conversation, the woman disagrees with the opinion stated in the letter. First of all, the school isn’t spending any money toward the sculpture, a donor is paying the bill. She thinks it’s nice to have some art on campus. Second, she says that Paul is disagreeing with the plan for he and his friends are always playing soccer at where the sculpture will be. It’s inconvenient for him and his friends, that they’ll have to find somewhere else to play.

Narrator
Now listen to two students discussing the opinion expressed in the letter.
Student A
Did you see Paul’s letter in the paper about the new sculpture?
Student B
Yeah, but it was totally unconvincing. His reasons for opposing the plan were just totally off. I’m
glad we’ll finally have some nice art on campus. I’d like to shake the donor’s hand and say
“Thank you.”
Student A
What do you mean, “the donor”?
Student B
You didn’t know? An anonymous donor is paying the bill for most of the sculpture.
Student A
Not the university?
Student B
No. His assumptions about who’s paying for it are all wrong.
Student A
Still, I wonder if he has a point about the space it’ll take up.
Student B
Well, you know why Paul is upset? He and his friends are always out there on the lawn, right
where the sculpture will be, kicking around the soccer ball. Now they’ll just have to use another
part of the campus to play.
Student A
Oh, so, he just doesn’t want to have to move.
Student B
Yeah. For him, it’s sculpture versus convenience.