TPO 34 - Question 4 The Familiarity Principle People tend to develop a preference for things they have previously encountered, things they are familiar with. Social psychologists refer to this tendency as the familiarity principle. Given a choice between

Speaking topics in text: 

TPO 34 - Question 4

The Familiarity Principle

People tend to develop a preference for things they have previously encountered, things they are familiar with. Social psychologists refer to this tendency as the familiarity principle. Given a choice between two similar items, one they have experienced before and another that is new. most people will choose the familiar item. This principle operates even when people are not conscious of their previous experience with an item. Once people have been exposed to an item, even if they do not recall having been exposed to it, they will tend to prefer that item over other items to which they have not been previously exposed.

Speaking topics in audio: 

Explain how the experiment described by the professor illustrates the familiarity principle.

Speaking category: 
Your rating: None Average: 10 (1 vote)
This speaking topic by other users:
Post date Users Rates More about the speaking
3 months 3 weeks ago mgrajapt 66 Read full essay
4 months 3 weeks ago aceit 66 Read full essay
5 months 3 days ago Tulips 90 Read full essay
7 months 6 days ago mahabub 63 Read full essay
7 months 1 week ago mgrajapt 80 Read full essay
7 months 1 week ago mgrajapt 70 Read full essay
7 months 2 weeks ago mgrajapt 70 Read full essay

Pages

More speakings by this user:
Extensive reading & listening: - reading & listening will help speaking
Intensive TOEFL reading & listening from TPO:

Familiarity principle means that people tend to choose a familiar item between two similar items, even if they are unconscious of the previous experience with it. In the lecture, the professor gives an experiment about this. Some researchers showed a group of students some distinctive geometrical shapes. But the shapes were only showed for about a second in dim light, so they were difficult to notice. Then, the researchers showed the students some shapes in pairs for a longer time. One was a shape that the students had seen before and the other was new. Then the students were asked for their preference. Most would prefer the familiar one, even if they didn’t know they had seen it before.

1. Some researchers did an experiment related to this.
2. What they did was they assembled a group of subjects, a group of students, and they showed these students a series of geometrical shapes.
3. These were very distinctive shapes, a little unusual, not the kind of shapes students often see.
4. But they only showed the students the shapes for a very short period of time, about a second.
5. They also lowered the light in the room to make it even more difficult for the students to see the shapes.
6. So the shapes were there for a split second in dim light and then they were gone.
7. In the next step of the experiment, the researchers again showed the students some shapes, but this time they gave the students a longer time to look at them.
8. And this time they showed the images in pairs, two at a time.
9. In each pair, one shape was a shape the students had already seen for just a split second in dim light.
10. And the other was some other shape that hadn't been shown to them before.
11. After presenting each pair, the researchers asked the students to say which of the two shapes they liked better.
12. Most of the time, the students preferred the shape they'd already seen earlier in the experiment.
13. Now, if you asked them if they'd already seen that shape, they probably wouldn't know for sure.
14. But that didn't matter.
15. They still tended to prefer the shapes they'd already seen.

Pages