Using points and examples from the lecture explain how a society can be a large group of people or a very small group Narrator Now listen to part of a lecture in a sociology class Male Professor Let s consider the way sociologists use the terms culture an

Speaking topics in text

Using points and examples from the lecture, explain how a society can be a large group of people or a very small group.
Narrator: Now listen to part of a lecture in a sociology class.

Male Professor: Let’s consider the way sociologists use the terms “culture” and “society.” A society is a distinct group of people… A, uhh, a sociologist would say that people in a society are defined by their social interactions and the… the culture they share. Meanwhile, culture itself can be defined as that society’s shared knowledge, beliefs, and expectations.

Often people think of a society as something really... well… big. And, sure, that’s true.... an entire nation, for example, will generally have some common thread of culture that defines it. The most obvious example is that citizens of one region generally speak a common language, but think about behavioral standards, too. Like, what’s considered polite or impolite? Whereas in one country, you might be expected to take off your shoes as the guest in another’s home, in other countries that might be considered strange. Cultural traits like that can extend over enormous populations.

But a society can also be much smaller, much simpler. Take—well—take this class. Aren’t we a society? We have social interactions with each other every week. And I think it’s fair to say we have a culture of a sort, too. Think back to what happened on the second day of class—do you all remember? I’d missed my train and didn’t have any way to let you all know I’d be late. But, uhh, in contrast to other classes, where students might’ve just headed home fifteen minutes after the planned start time, each and every one of you waited the full thirty minutes it took me to arrive. That kind of set expectations, right? It lay the foundation for a culture of patience… something I think is still true of this particular group, this little society.

Narrator: Using points and examples from the lecture, explain how a society can be a large group of people or a very s

Online speaking recording
Speaking category