TOEFL TPO 11 SPEAKING TASK 3

Speaking topics in text

TOEFL TPO 11 SPEAKING TASK 3

Announcement: Housing Renovations Planned
Over the last ten years, the number of Central College students living on campus in dormitories has decreased by twenty percent. In an effort to counteract the trend, the college has announced a plan to renovate its on-campus housing. The renovations will take two years, and they will include improvements to the bathrooms, lighting, and heating in the dormitories. “A lot of people are moving off campus because the dorms aren’t in great shape,” explained the college president. “y renovating the dorms, we can make them more appealing than off-campus housing, and more students will choose to remain on campus.”
Conversation:
W: The college is making a mistake with this new plan.
M: What do you mean? I think it’ll really help accomplish the college 's goals.
W: Don’t be so sure. All that construction, for two years? It's gonna create a lot of noise. Well, you mean in the beginning, for students still living in the dorms.
M: Yeah, students who are trying to sleep or do work are constantly going to be disturbed. So people will try to get as far away as possible. Probably by moving off campus. So they will lose even more people.
W: Hen, I hadn't thought of that. But still, once all the construction is over, more people will probably want to live in the dorms, right? I mean the living conditions will be so much better.
If they can afford to, do you know how the college is planning on paying for this plan? By raising the cost of campus housing.
M: Oh, I didn't realize that.
W: Yeah, so if it's more expensive, why would people want to move back into the dorms if they can rent an apartment for less money?

Speaking recording
Speaking category