Patna University Clears The Route of Cut-offs for Admissions

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Sat, 06/01/2013 - 06:01

Patna University has announced that Entrance Exam is the only Eligibility Criteria for gaining admissions into Undergraduate Courses. This year, any students clearing the Entrance exam will not be denied from getting admission to their chosen course in undergraduate programmes.

Recalling the last year's notice- says students in both General and Reserved categories had to score at least 50% and 45% respectively in their board examination in order to take up Patna University's Entrance Test. However, the route for students have been cleared this year.

Yes, Students who have passed Intermediate or equivalent exam can apply for the admission test. A student has to score 45 per cent to pass the boards.

Patna University (PU) vice-chancellor Arun Kumar Sinha said "The university has decided not to have a cut-off mark for aspirants who want to take the admission test to the undergraduate courses."

Rajneesh Kumar, a chemistry teacher at Patna Science College, said: "The college will prepare a merit list based on the entrance exam results. Students will feature be called for an interview or counselling. They would be admitted to a particular course based on their preference and the marks they score on the admission test."

The sources said the university authorities decided to do away with the cut-off marks this year because seats in a number of colleges remained vacant last year. "The number of seats at many colleges was increased last year. Coupled with the cut-off marks, it resulted in seats remaining vacant at many colleges, including Patna College, considered being one of the best institutions in east India.

" A senior teacher of Patna College, said: "Last year, the admission process continued even after the first-year classes had started. By mid-August, only 450 of the 600 seats were filled."

"Students' preference to vocational courses over traditional ones was another reason for the low admission. According to records available with Patna College, the subject that attracts the most students is economics," he added.