Rhodes Post-Doctoral Fellowships

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Sun, 03/31/2013 - 02:00

Rhodes Post-Doctoral FellowshipsCourse(s) Offered: All faculties

Level: Graduate (postdoctoral, fellowships)

Provider: Rhodes University

Country to Study in: South Africa

Scholarship Description: The University Council has established several Rhodes University Post-Doctoral Fellowships across all faculties which may be awarded for one year with the possibility of renewal.

The Fellowships are intended to foster existing research and scholarly or creative activities within Rhodes University departments and institutes. Ideally a Fellow’s proposed work will closely complement existing programmes in the host department.

Eligibility: Although there is no age restriction, potential Fellows must hold a doctoral degree, awarded within the last five years, preferably from an institution other than Rhodes University and recognized as appropriate to the discipline for which the Fellowship is sought. Successful candidates must be of exceptional merit as evidenced by the quality and corpus of publications or other recognized forms of achievement relevant to the Fellow’s discipline. The Fellowship will be awarded strictly on merit.

An applicant who has not completed his/her PhD at the time the Fellowship is offered must have submitted the PhD thesis by the end of 2013. In these circumstances the Research Office will require written assurance from the applicant’s supervisor that there is a reasonable expectation that the doctoral degree will be awarded.

Eligible groups: All citizens of South African origin

Participating Institutions: Rhodes University departments and institutes, South Africa

Fields of study: All faculties are eligible

Number of awards: Not specified, but several will be given

Sponsorship duration: A minimum of one year in the first instance with the possibility of renewal for a further year

Scholarship benefits: Each Fellowship is a package of R140,000 per annum with an additional allocation of a maximum of R10,000 to be used at the discretion of the Head of Department and the Fellow.

The Fellowship cannot be held concurrently with any supplementary funding.

Method of Application: Applications should be made through Heads of Departments or Directors of Research Institutes. 

Applications must include a full curriculum vitae and the names and full contact details of three referees who may be consulted. The Head of Department/Director of Research Institutes must then recommend the applicant including an outline research proposal with details of how Rhodes staff will be involved or benefit. This must then be submitted to the Research Office.

To download “RU Post-Doc Application 2014“, please visit the official website (link to it found below).

DEADLINES: Applications for the 2014 Rhodes Post-doctoral Fellowships close on 31 July 2013.

Please Note: The University expects that all publications, creative works and other academic products of the Fellowship will bear appropriate acknowledgement with full affiliation to Rhodes University. The University reserves the right to co-ownership of inventions and/or patents directly emanating from research conducted under the sponsorship of the Fellowship.

The University reserves the right to request the refund of any fellowship paid to the Fellow should the Fellow terminate his/her contract prior to its completion.

Scholarship Application Deadline: 31 July 2013

Scholarship Open to International students: No