University Researchers Use Biozoom Scanner To Investigate Relationship Between Stress And Work

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Mon, 06/17/2013 - 11:00

AGOURA HILLS, Calif., June 17, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- The Biozoom (OTC QB: BIZM) scanner is the world's first portable, hand held device for the non-invasive transdermal analysis of antioxidants and other biomarkers in the human body. It replaces expensive, time consuming and invasive blood tests. At the a click of a button, the Biozoom scanner reflects a beam of light off the skin—using state-of-the-art optics developed with Carl Zeiss—and measures the reflection. Using the scanner, researchers from Charite Berlin one of Europe's largest and most respected university hospitals--joined researchers from the University of Rostock to investigate a pressing health issue facing the developed world: workplace stress. The Biozoom scanner was used to measure antioxidants in the skin of midwives, a group selected because of their nighttime shift work, a reported cause of stress for many.

"The Biozoom scanner was ideal for this application," said Dr. Jurgen Lademann, Director of Charite's Center of Experimental and Applied Cutaneous Physiology, "because it is portable, non-invasive and highly accurate, returning results instantly. Using it, we have been able to investigate the changing antioxidative status of human skin more easily."

The concentration of antioxidants in human skin has been shown to be linked to an individual's nutritional habits, as well as by stressors such as shift work. Because midwives' schedules are unpredictable and often require midnight shifts, the workers' circadian rhythms and melatonin secretion are disturbed. According to Charite, this type of schedule is associated with insomnia, gastrointestinal disorders and a 40% higher risk of developing coronary heart diseases.

Seven midwives' took part in the study. The results showed a correlation between stress intensity and a decline in the midwives' antioxidative status, suggesting that antioxidative status may be adversely affected by shift work.

"For Biozoom, this study shows a centrally important benefit of the scanner," said Hardy Hoheisel, Biozoom's Chief Executive Officer. "While most of us recognize that stress management is a key factor in improving physical and emotional wellness, there have been few commercially available ways to measure the effects of stress on the body before it causes illness. The Biozoom scanner shows that impact, making the antioxidative consequences of stress measurable and giving people the information and reinforcement they need to make positive lifestyle changes."

About Biozoom

Biozoom is an innovative technology development company, specializing in the commercialization of our advances in mobile spectroscopy. Our intellectual property portfolio and ongoing research are positioned to apply Biozoom's technology breakthroughs to a wide range of markets. Our first consumer product, the Biozoom scanner, gives people the feedback they need to manage their health, wellness and fitness on demand. Tested in leading health institutions, our scanner is the first of its kind—a handheld, transdermal device for measuring biomarkers, including antioxidant levels, at the click of a button. Scan results—and customized wellness coaching based on those biomarkers—are sent instantly to a smartphone or online account. The scanner will enable leaders in the health and wellness industry to create new levels of customer loyalty and revenues as a result. For more information, visit www.biozoom.net.

About Charite Berlin

The Charite is one of the largest university hospitals in Europe. Here, 3800 doctors and scientists heal, do research and teach at the top international level.  More than half of the German Nobel Prize winners in medicine and physiology come from the Charite, among them Emil von Behring, Robert Koch and Paul Ehrlich. The Charite also has an international reputation for excellence in training. It extends over four campuses with more than 100 clinics and institutes bundled under 17 Charite Centers.  With 13,000 employees, the Charite generates about 1.2 billion euros in sales per year and is one of the largest employers in Berlin. In 2010, the Charite could look back and joyously celebrated its 300-year anniversary.

About Rostock University

With its 200,000 inhabitants, Rostock is characterized scientifically, economically and culturally by 15,000 students and a work force of 5,000 in the university and university clinic. External funding raised for research rose between 2005 and 2010 by 83% and currently stands above 47 million Euros per year. The University of Rostock is among the ten most founder-friendly higher education establishments in Germany. The regional economy has benefitted from the over 800 start-up companies launched from the university since 1991.

Disclaimer

This press release contains "forward-looking statements". Statements in this press release which are not purely historical are forward-looking statements and include any statements regarding beliefs, plans, expectations or intentions regarding the future, and specifically references to future potential purchase orders and re-orders from consumers and distributors. The reader can identify these forward-looking statements by forward-looking words such as "may," "will," "expect," "potential," "anticipate," "forecast," "believe," "estimate," "project," "plan," "continue" or similar words. The reader should read statements that contain these words carefully because they discuss future expectations, contain projections of future results of operations or of financial condition, or state other forward-looking information. Forward-looking statements include, but are not limited to, statements regarding potential products, customers, revenues, expansion efforts, and future plans and objectives of Biozoom, Inc. ("Biozoom"). The risk factors listed in our disclosure documents and the cautionary language therein provide examples of risks, uncertainties and events that may cause actual results to differ materially from the expectations and projections described by Biozoom in its forward-looking statements. Actual results relating to, among other things, product launch, sales, customer acceptance and market share could differ materially from those currently anticipated in such statements. Factors affecting forward-looking statements include: consumer preferences, competition from more established brands, ability to develop market share; changes in the operating costs; changes in economic conditions, foreign exchange and other financial markets; changes of the interest rates on borrowings; changes in the investments levels; litigation; legislation; environmental, judicial, regulatory, political and competitive developments in areas in which Biozoom operates; technological, mechanical and operational difficulties encountered in connection with Biozoom's development activities; and labor relation matters and costs. The reader should refer to the risk disclosures set out in the periodic reports and other disclosure documents filed by Biozoom from time to time with the Securities and Exchange Commission and other regulatory authorities.

Quotes are real-time for NASDAQ, NYSE, and NYSEAmex when available. See also delay times for other exchanges. Quotes and other information supplied by independent providers identified on the Yahoo! Finance partner page. Quotes are updated automatically, but will be turned off after 25 minutes of inactivity. Quotes are delayed at least 15 minutes. All information provided "as is" for informational purposes only, not intended for trading purposes or advice. Neither Yahoo! nor any of independent providers is liable for any informational errors, incompleteness, or delays, or for any actions taken in reliance on information contained herein. By accessing the Yahoo! site, you agree not to redistribute the information found therein.

Fundamental company data provided by Capital IQ. Historical chart data and daily updates provided by Commodity Systems, Inc. (CSI). International historical chart data and daily updates provided by Morningstar, Inc.

Yahoo! - ABC News Network

Article references
finance.yahoo.com