Commonwealth Scholarship Plan – India

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Thu, 02/13/2014 - 10:08

University Grants Commission (UGC)Competition: Closed for 2013-2014

Who Applies: Canadian Students and Researchers

Description: The Indian Council for Cultural Relations (ICCR) offers scholarships for study in India at the Master’s or PhD Level and offers scholarships to conduct research toward a Doctoral Program in Canada. This scholarship is tenable from September 2014.

Guidelines: The competition is open to all disciplines including natural sciences, engineering, humanities, social sciences and the arts.

Candidates already enrolled in a degree program are eligible to apply.

The scholarships for study in India are tenable only at universities that are on the following list of University Grants Commission (UGC) Recognized Universities (PDF format).

Scholarship Value
The award includes:

• airfare to India, for the award recipient only, by the most economical route and return airfare upon completion of the scholarship;
  • personal living allowance;
  • tuition fees;
  • accommodation expenses; and
  • other study and medical allowances.

Scholarship Duration
Scholarships are Tenable for one Academic year.

For PhD scholars, the scholarship may be awarded for a maximum of five and a half years. The renewal for subsequent years is subject to:

• the availability of funding;
  • good academic standing during the first academic year; and
  • the confirmation by the academic institution that the renewal period is necessary to complete the program of study for which the scholarship was initially awarded.

Eligibility
Applicants:

• must be Canadian citizens;
  • must have completed the prerequisite degrees for the proposed program of study at the time of submitting an application;
  • must have a minimum of an (A-) average;
  • must engage in full-time graduate studies or research at a university on the list of UGC Recognized Universities (PDF format); and
  • conducting research towards a doctoral degree at a Canadian university must obtain the approval of the relevant authorities at their home institution.

In addition, applicants:

• whose native language is not English may be required to complete the academic Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) English language test;
  • in business, management and related fields, may be required to complete the Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT); and
  • in economics and related fields, should note that some universities require theGraduate Record Examination (GRE).

Priority will be given to candidates who have not previously studied in India.

Terms and Conditions
The Terms and Conditions are as Follows:

• scholars, as well as their spouse and dependants, when relevant, must meet all of the requirements for entry into India, including a medical examination;
  • scholars will be required to sign an undertaking to return to Canada upon completion of the scholarship;
  • scholars must submit their vacation requests for pre-approval. It is important to note that scholarship funding will be suspended during this period and that the scholar will be responsible for all vacation-related expenses;
  • scholar cannot concurrently hold another scholarship or award;
  • scholars must be able to commence their study in India by September 2014 with limited notice of receipt of the Scholarship, usually three weeks;
  • scholars will be expected to reside in India throughout the scholarship and to seek prior approval for any proposed visits abroad;
  • scholars must follow the approved course of study and abide by the rules of the host institution;
  • scholars will not be permitted to change the course plan, institution or the value of their scholarship award;
  • scholars may not undertake paid employment during their scholarship nor serve on the staff of the Canadian High Commission or Consulate in India;
  • a scholarship may be terminated at any time for reasons such as a scholar’s unsatisfactory progress, conduct or a breach of the conditions of the award; and
  • if a scholar decides to return to their home country early, they must repay all funds received through the scholarship.

Deadline: The DFATD online Application form is 11:59 p.m. EDT, February 7, 2014.

The Deadline to receive the ICCR application form is February 7, 2014. Applications received late or incomplete by the scholarship administrator will not be considered.

It is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure that all documents required by mail are received by the deadline. The scholarship program administrator will not accept incomplete files. Supporting documents, other than the ones requested, will not be accepted.

An acknowledgement of receipt will not be provided.

Notification: Applicants will be contacted by February 10, 2014 by the scholarship administrator regarding the status of their application.

Applicants must ensure that a permanent email address is included in their application.

Final Selection: The Indian Council for Cultural Relations (ICCR) will notify the scholarship administrator of their final decision. Confirmation on relatively short notice from the Indian authorities is to be expected (about three weeks prior to commencement of studies in India).