On Balmer Island, where mopeds serve as a popular form of transportation, the population increases to 100,000 during the summer months. To reduce the number of accidents involving mopeds and pedestrians, the town council of Balmer Island should limit the

On Balmer Island, where mopeds serve as a popular form of transportation, the population increases to 100,000 during the summer months. To reduce the number of accidents involving mopeds and pedestrians, the town council of Balmer Island should limit the number of mopeds rented by the island's moped rental companies from 50 per day to 25 per day during the summer season. By limiting the number of rentals, the town council will attain the 50 percent annual reduction in moped accidents that was achieved last year on the neighboring island of Seaville, when Seaville's town council enforced similar limits on moped rentals

The argument that On Balmer Island, where mopeds serve as a popular form of transportation, the population increases to 100,000 during the summer months. To reduce the number of accidents involving mopeds and pedestrians, the town council of Balmer Island should limit the number of mopeds rented by the island's moped rental companies from 50 per day to 25 per day during the summer season. By limiting the number of rentals, the town council will attain the 50 percent annual reduction in moped accidents that was achieved last year on the neighboring island of Seaville, when Seaville's town council enforced similar limits on moped rentals is highly understated because it ignores certain crucial assumptions.

Firstly, the argument assumes that reducing the number of mopeds given on rental basis from 50 to 25 will reduce the number of accidents involving mopeds and pedestrians but this is flawed as it is based on erroneous assumptions and inadequate data. The accidents that took place may be due to the bad structure of roads in Balmer Island. Due to irregularity of roads and presence of pot holes, the accidents might have taken place. Reducing the number of mopeds from 50 to 25 will have no effect if the roads are not regular in their structure.

Secondly, the argument has never addressed the quality of moped drivers that drive the mopeds. Irresponsible and rash driving from moped drivers may have led to accidents involving mopeds and pedestrians. The moped drivers may have drunk and driven due to which they may have lost control over the moped and may have caused accident. Also the moped drivers may have driven their moped over the prescribed speed limit on request of a customer.

Thirdly, the argument assumes that by limiting the number of rentals 50% annual reduction in accidents will be achieved as it was achieved in Island of Seaville. This assumption of author is inadequate. In absence of absolute figures, plain percentages might be sometimes misleading. Here the author has not given the data about the total number of accidents taking place in a year in Balmer Island and Island of Seaville. Also the author fails to mention the quality of roads and the quality of moped drivers in Balmer Island and Island of Seaville.

Finally, the author has also not mentioned whether the accidents take place only in the months of summer or the year round. If the accidents take place the year round then by limiting the number of rental mopeds in months of summer will not reduce the number of accidents taking place in Balmer Island. Due to all above stated assumptions the argument to limit the number of rental mopeds during the months of summer is not evident.

argument 1 and argument 2 are relatively talking about the same thing.

You can argue something else like: maybe the major vehicles involved in accidents were personally owned by the citizens of Balmer Island. So, by limiting the number will have no significant impact on the numbers.