The editor of a local newspaper sent the following memo to the managing editor of the paper: “Three years ago when we surveyed our subscribers, they complained about the quality of the reporting and writing in the paper. Since that time, we have made a co

The editor of a local newspaper sent the following memo to the managing editor of the paper:
“Three years ago when we surveyed our subscribers, they complained about the quality of the reporting and writing in the paper. Since that time, we have made a concerted effort to hire older, more experienced journalists. According to our most recent survey, these changes have made a vast improvement. Not only has our subscriber base grown by 13%, but they also rated us higher on both reporting and writing. Therefore, it is evident that to continue to increase our readership, we should hire the most experienced journalists we can find, and gradually fire our younger, less experienced reporters."

Write a response in which you discuss what questions would need to be answered in order to decide whether the recommendation is likely to have the predicted result. Be sure to explain how the answers to these questions would help to evaluate the recommendation.

The memo sent by the editor of a local newspaper to the managing editor of the paper recommends hiring of the most experienced journalists possible and gradually fire younger and less experienced ones. This would help in increasing the readership of the newspaper. The director puts forward the following reasons behind this recommendation: 1) a growth of subscriber base by 13% after hiring experienced journalists; 2) a higher rating on the quality of reporting and writing. However, these arguments(or reasons) rely on a series of unwarranted assumptions, which are needed to be answered in order to logically validate this argument.

Firstly, the memo sent by the editor states that there has been an increase in the subscriber base by 13%, after hiring experienced journalists. However, this statements does not answer the factors that are responsible for the observed trend in the readership base. It is quite possible that the trend observed was so because of an increase in the population of the city or due to paucity of other good quality news papers in the locality. A proper assessment of the factors that influenced more number of people to subscribe to this paper will make this argument logically valid.

Secondly, according to the memo, the readers rated higher in reporting and writing quality of the paper. Nonetheless, there has been little information on the literacy level of the readers taken under the ambit of the survey. Information in this direction, will help us to judge the quality and the importance of the results of the survey undertaken. Also, it has to be properly stated whether this survey was conducted properly in a transparent manner or not. The methods employed, while undertaking the survey are to be mentioned. Absence of such crucial information makes this argument look critically flawed.

Finally, though the memo has been hailing the increase in the readership base, there is a missing link between the role of experienced journalists and the survey results. Just mentioning that the increase in rating and subscribers after hiring the experienced reporters offers little support to the recommendation being made. The works of the experienced and the less experienced reporters have to be considered separately and assessed individually. Such a meticulous study alone can lend credibility to the recommendation being made.

Summing it up, as mentioned above, these questions of the unwarranted assumptions are needed to be answered in order to evaluate this recommendation properly. These answers alone can make this recommendation worthy of implemnetation.

Sentence: However, this statements does not answer the factors that are responsible for the observed trend in the readership base.
Description: A determiner/pronoun, singular is not usually followed by a noun, plural, common
Suggestion: Refer to this and statements

Sentence: However, these argumentsor reasons rely on a series of unwarranted assumptions, which are needed to be answered in order to logically validate this argument.
Error: argumentsor Suggestion: arguments

Sentence: These answers alone can make this recommendation worthy of implemnetation.
Error: implemnetation Suggestion: implementation

-----------------

argument 2 -- not OK. //Young editors could have improved their writing skills in this period.

argument 3 -- not OK. //Firing the young reporters is not the only option to increase our readership. Maybe more training.
----------------