The following is a memorandum from the business manager of a television station."Over the past year, our late-night news program has devoted increased time to national news and less time to weather and local news. During this period, most of the complaint

The following is a memorandum from the business manager of a television station.

"Over the past year, our late-night news program has devoted increased time to national news and less time to weather and local news. During this period, most of the complaints received from viewers were concerned with our station's coverage of weather and local news. In addition, local businesses that used to advertise during our late-night news program have canceled their advertising contracts with us. Therefore, in order to attract more viewers to our news programs and to avoid losing any further advertising revenues, we should expand our coverage of weather and local news on all our news programs."

Write a response in which you discuss what specific evidence is needed to evaluate the argument and explain how the evidence would weaken or strengthen the argument.

The manager in the reading claims that a change in the programs of a TV station leads to decline in ad.s revenues and TV viewers. His or her argument implies that they should undo the change to attract more viewers and revenues from advertising. But this argument presupposes some considerations that need more evidence to be credible. Here are some evidence which we need to have in order to be able to support the manager's argument.

First, the argument is based on a report that implies that people's complaints are mostly over the change in the programs. We need further evidence to prove this. The station should manage a comprehensive interview or survey to ensure that people really feel that the new TV program is not attractive.

Second, the reading suggests that weather and local news have more complaints in the period of change. This will not concern the very change of the programs, but it may be related to the contents of the programs. I mean it is possible that the weather or local news have few interesting points. One needs more evidence about the degree of satisfaction about the content of such programs.

Third, concerning the decline in revenues, it is reasonably possible for the TV station to have a rival during this period. People who just canceled their contracts with the TV station may find other stations which perhaps have more viewers. Therefore, the manager should find more evidence about the main reason for cancellation of contracts.

Forth and finally, the manager cannot be sure of the outcome of undoing the change. If the station turn the tv programs into its previous schedule then they should stay to see what will happen. People may or may not get attracted with the TV station programs again. Thus, they should consider another survey to make sure that any change is helpful or not. It is possible that people are engaged more with online news rather than tv news and therefore any change in station program will not attract them easily. Evidence should make it clear that what alternatives people or businesses did choice in the period of change in the TV station programs.

To summarize, the manager needs more evidence to support his or her argument. If evidences suggests that the decline in popularity of TV station's program is due to the change in the programs, then the decision to undo the change seems justified. But if the evidences go against the assumptions of the manager, then he or she should consider other factors and reasons for this decline. Possible reasons my include: new rivals for the station, decrease of the quality of programs, decline of the events that are supposed to provide materials for the news (that depend on factors out of the reach of the station), and so on.

argument 1 -- not OK

argument 4 -- not OK. Need to argue against the conclusion. For this topic it is:

Therefore, in order to attract more viewers to our news programs and to avoid losing any further advertising revenues, we should expand our coverage of weather and local news on all our news programs.

----------------