A new study collected data that shows that people who snore are more likely to gain weight than are people who do not snore. It is well known that many people who snore also stop breathing frequently during the night for a few seconds, a condition called

A new study collected data that shows that people who snore are more likely to gain weight than are people who do not snore. It is well known that many people who snore also stop breathing frequently during the night for a few seconds, a condition called sleep apnea. The interruption of breathing wakes the person---often so briefly that the waking goes unnoticed---and can leave the person too tired during the day to exercise. Anyone who snores, therefore, should try to eat less than the average person and to exercise more.

In this argument the author recommends that people who snore should try to eat less than the average person and to exercise more to avoid gaining weight. To support this recommendation, he points out a study showing that people who snore are more vulnerable to gain weight than are people who do not snore. He also cites that many of snoring people also face interruption of breathing which wakes them briefly and can cause feeling too tired during day to exercise. A careful examination of this evidence reveals that it lends little credence to this argument.

First, the author unfairly assumes that the results of the study can be attributable to the whole people who snore. There is the possibility that the number of snoring persons analyzed in the study is not sufficient in comparison with the total snoring persons or the sample respondents might not cover the whole snoring persons’ characteristics and behaviors. The author provides no dear evidence to corroborate the fact that the taken sample in the study would be a sufficient and appropriate representative of the the whole snoring population.

Second, even if the result of the study can be substantially attributed to the whole snoring people, the author rely on no authentic information to credit his claim that many of snoring people also stop breathing frequently during the night. Also he unsubstantially concludes that such breathing interruption leads to not enough sleep and feeling tired during the day. The snoring people even having breathing difficulties might have longer sleep times that compensate for the awaken periods and do not feel weary during the day. Without considering and ruling out this and other possible reasons which weaken the author’s conclusion, he can not easily claim that many of snoring people feel tired during the day because of lack of sleep.

Third, supposing the correctness of not enough sleep and the resulted tiredness, it can not suffice the less energy or motivation for doing exercises. For instance, the athletes or other people who are strongly interested in sports and physical activities follow their routine exercises without being hindered by their tiredness. In addition, the authors’ recommendation which suggests snoring people eat less and do exercises more than other people does not seem sensible while he concludes that most of these people would not be able of doing exercises. Although eating less might be a good suggestion it can belie the fact that these people suffering from dearth of relaxed sleep might suffer more if have inadequate supply of nutrition.

In sum, the author fails to convince me that snoring people needs to eat less and do exercises more than other people. To bolster this recommendation he must assure me that the study results accurately reflects the whole snoring people’s habits and characteristics. To better assess the strength of the argument I would need clear statistical information about the number of people who have breathing interruptions during the night and whether these difficulties contribute to their tiredness and unwillingness to do physical activities.

argument 2 -- not OK.

Even assuming a strong correlation between snoring and weight gain among the general population, the speaker has not adequately shown that sleep apnea causes weight gain.