The town of Arcana should institute an 11pm curfew for teenagers to curb crime and improve academic performance Many crimes are being committed by young people after dark and a curfew would both make such crimes impossible and provide an extra legal offen

The town of Arcana should institute an 11pm curfew for teenagers to curb crime and improve academic performance. Many crimes are being committed by young people after dark and a curfew would both make such crimes impossible and provide an extra legal offense with which to charge those who do break the law. Furthermore many young people study less than one hour per night. An 11pm curfew would improve student’s grades.

The author of the above passage claims that instituting an 11 pm curfew for teenagers would lead to decrease in crimes and at the same time would improve academic performance in the town of Arcana. However, the author’s reasoning for instituting this restriction is flawed since it is based on a number of questionable assumptions. Furthermore the author also incorporates some extreme statements in his passage, unsupported by proper evidences. Thus after careful scrutiny, the author’s recommendation can be considered incomplete or unsubstantiated.

First of all, the argument readily assumes that all crimes committed after dark would be curbed by introducing a curfew for teenagers after 11pm. This is merely an extraneous assumption. This does not prevent youngsters from committing a crime before 11pm. The above argument could be properly justified if results from an independent study- concluding that a majority of crimes in Arcana occur after 11pm, is supplied along with it.

Secondly, the author makes a statement about how installing the curfew would make crimes committed after dark impossible. This comment is an extreme one, being supported by no proper proof. Such a statement could be justified only if the author could bring out a comparison between the crime rates before and after incorporating the curfew. Without such conclusive proof, the statement is unfounded.

Furthermore, the author makes a questionable assumption that installing a curfew for teenagers would curb crimes since many crimes are committed by young people. However no study has yet been performed which determines exactly what percentage of crimes is committed by young people. Crimes could very well be committed by the elderly. This assumption could be substantiated if the author could show that percentages of crimes committed by the aged people of Arcana and correlate them that committed by the youngsters.

Finally the author makes a further fallacious assumption that instituting an 11pm curfew would improve academic performance among teenagers. However this remark is unfounded since youngsters can watch television, chat with their friends and pursue other forms of entertainment, all the while remaining confined within their residence. Thus the guarantee of improving academic performance by incorporating the curfew seems rather specious.

Thus in conclusion, it may be stated that the author’s argument is unpersuasive as it stands. To bolster it further, the author must provide sufficient evidence to support his claims, perhaps by a comprehensive survey, incorporating some of the studies suggested above. Finally to better assess the survey, it is imperative to determine the number of crimes in Arcana are committed after 11pm, and what percentages of those are committed by teenagers.

argument 1 -- you said: 'all crimes committed after dark would be curbed by introducing a curfew for teenagers after 11pm.', but the topic is: 'Many crimes are being committed...'

argument 2 -- well, better to accept it can curb crimes. but 'This does not prevent youngsters from committing a crime before 11pm' as you told in the argument 1.

argument 3 -- it is out of topic.