Analysis of Argument

Analysis of Argument

“Since a competing lower-priced newspaper, The Bugle, was started five years ago, The Mercury’s circulation has declined by 10,000 readers. The best way to get more people to read The Mercury is to reduce its price below that of The Bugle, at least until circulation increases to former levels. The increased circulation of The Mercury will attract more businesses to buy advertising space in the paper.”

The argument claims that The Mercury's circulation has declined since the competing low-price newspaper, The Bungle, was started. The argument failed to mentioned several key factors, on the basis of which it could be evaluated. The conclusion of the argument relies on the assumption for which there is no clear evidence. Hence, the argument is weak, unconvincing and has several flaws.

First, the argument readily assumes that The Mercury's circulation has declined because of the price as compared to The Bugle. This statement may be partially true but it lacks evidence. For example, argument does not clearly mentioned the price of both the newspapers and the difference between them. It can be a case that The Mercury's priced little more than that of The Bungle. It has also eliminated the other facts such as content, newspaper paper quality and total circulation. The argument could have been much clearer if it explicitly explain the other factors which are responsible for newspaper success or failure.

Secondly, the argument claims that BEST WAY to get more people to read The Mercury is to reduce its price below that of The Bungle, at least until the circulation increases to former levels. This is again a weak and unsupported claim which does not demonstrated the correlation between price and people interest. To illustrate, if The Mercury reduced its price below that The Bungle would not guarantee the increase in the circulation. Usually people prefer newspaper which covers most of the categories with relevant and meaningful content such as Daily Local news, overseas, sports, politics and many more. The more quality content paper will have the more impact on circulations of the newspaper. If the argument have provided the above details then the argument would have been much more convincing.

Finally, the argument states that increased circulation of the 'The Mercury' will attract more businesses to buy advertising space in the paper. This can be true but if the author has provided the details such as number of advertiser as compared to till date would have strengthened the argument. Since it is possible that newspaper still showing profit due to the increase in advertisement in newspaper.

In Conclusion, the argument is flawed for the above-mentioned reasons and is therefore unconvincing. It could be considerably strengthened if the author clearly mentioned all the relevant facts. Without these information as mentioned above, the argument remains unsubstantiated and open to debate.

Sentence: The argument failed to mentioned several key factors, on the basis of which it could be evaluated.
Description: The token to is not usually followed by a verb, past participle
Suggestion: Refer to to and mentioned

Sentence: This is again a weak and unsupported claim which does not demonstrated the correlation between price and people interest.
Description: The fragment not demonstrated the is rare
Suggestion: Possible agreement error: Replace demonstrated with verb, base: uninflected present, imperative or infinitive
Suggestion: Refer to people and interest

Sentence: This can be true but if the author has provided the details such as number of advertiser as compared to till date would have strengthened the argument.
Description: The word till is not usually used as a verb, base: uninflected present, imperative or infinitive
Suggestion: Refer to till

Sentence: Since a competing lower-priced newspaper, The Bugle, was started five years ago, The Mercury's circulation has declined by 10,000 readers.
Error: lower-priced Suggestion: lower priced

Sentence: The argument claims that The Mercury's circulation has declined since the competing low-price newspaper, The Bungle, was started.
Error: low-price Suggestion: low price

Sentence: In Conclusion, the argument is flawed for the above-mentioned reasons and is therefore unconvincing.
Error: above-mentioned Suggestion: above mentioned

One of your problems is Sentence Length SD: 5.395 7.5.
and another flaw is:Use of Discourse Markers (%): 0.682 0.12.
Check out online what is Use of Discourse Markers.

Best sentence length in academic writing:

Sentence length may seem an unimportant attribute of your academic paper, however, correct use of your sentences’ length and a rhyme of your writing can significantly enhance the reader experience. The best way to make your writing pleasant is to mix in a reasonable form the short, simple sentences together with longer, complex sentences.
Choosing the best sentence length

The length of the sentence you would pick depends on the purpose of the sentence. But the main point to remember is that you should not think about each and every sentence, but rather only apply your sentence length analysis when you feel a problem in your writing. If you get to using only long or only short sentences, consider changing the tone to mix them. Reading different sentence length texts is much more pleasant than reading monotonous sentences.
Short sentence length

When sentences are short, reading feels like chopping:

Sally woke up. She washed her face and went outside to the grandma. “G’d morning.” “Hi.” “Any news from Gordon?” “No.” Sally got sad. She went to her bedroom. Days went by.

Long sentence length

Long sentences are vague and difficult to catch up:

As sally woke up, hearing the songs of the early birds ourside, the first idea that came to her mind was her beloved brother Gordon, who went to a fairy up town last wednesday, and never returned. Thinking only of him, Sally reluctantly washed herself, and, horrified from the person in the mirror, went outside to find her statue-silent grandmother with an expression of disturbance on her face, arms, legs, and every other part of her body. After a short conversation, Sally found out from the grandma that the brother still had not been heard from, and her grief had grown from immense to eternal; she should have gone with the rest of the family, but instead, they left her to keep an eye on the grandma while everyone else is hurtling across the live town seeking Gordon.

Mixed sentence length: best

Gordon missing for 4 days. His twin sister Sally and Grandma Penelope stayed at home to wait for some news from Gordon, the rest of the family went to look for him in the town. Although everybody realized that Gordon — a huge towering young man — is all right, not knowing anything about him made everyone feel uncomfortable enough to start the search. Sally wanted to join, but was left to look for granny. As days went by, Sally got more and more sad and discouraged, because she loved her brother very much.

As you see in the examples above, it is better to stick to the third tone of writing, using mixed sentence length. Mix long and short sentences, so that the reader can keep up with the idea and enjoy the rhymes of your writing at the same time.