You are hereIn any field of endeavor, it is impossible to make a significant contribution without first being strongly influenced by past achievements within that field.Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the statement

In any field of endeavor, it is impossible to make a significant contribution without first being strongly influenced by past achievements within that field.Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the statement

yjc1989's picture

By yjc1989 - Posted on 10 August 2012

In any field of endeavor, it is impossible to make a significant contribution without first being strongly influenced by past achievements within that field.

Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the statement and explain your reasoning for the position you take. In developing and supporting your position, you should consider ways in which the statement might or might not hold true and explain how these considerations shape your position.

It is probable to make a significant contribution with small influence by past achievements within that fields. Despite that we have to learn some knowledge of that field, including past achievements, we can't let it influence us strongly. our ideas will just follow the thoughts of other experts in this field and will probably be not creative and original. However, if we view the topic in a fresh way without influence, sometimes we might get great progress with our new, creative, and possibily "nonreasonable" opinions.

First, we can't past achievements affect us strongly. While we still have to gain knowledge about this field to understand the topic, we can't just think like others. They may be experts, specialities, and professors, but they don't get it either. Moreover, if we simply learn how they treat this problem and go through their thoughts, we could finally get the same answer in the same wrong way. Although their works are worth reviewing, we can't make crushes on them. That is, we need new idea and get rid of old opinions.

Second, we have to view the topic in a fresh and new way so as to make a significant contribution in the field. In addition, this "fresh" way sometimes comes from other field. For example, an answer to a math problem may comes from a thought in poems if the mathmatician loves literature. What's more, the solution may sometimes unreasonable! Newton form his idea of gravity even from a falling apple. What will be more uncanny? There are times we just can't figure out what it is. Then just take some rest. New ideas sometimes comes out of nothing.

In the end, it is probable to make a great progress with little influence by past achievements within that field. We need some knowledge or insights on that field, but we can't make old people influence our ideas. Moreover, we have to treat the problems in a new way, sometimes fresh, and even sometimes unreasonable. No matter how we form our new opinion, we can't just follow the former successful thoughts and keep thiking. We need to solve this problem on our own.