You are hereIn any field of endeavor, it is impossible to make a significant contribution without first being strongly influenced by past achievements within that field.

In any field of endeavor, it is impossible to make a significant contribution without first being strongly influenced by past achievements within that field.

anam's picture

By anam - Posted on 22 August 2011

Creativity is the foundation of achievement in any field let it be arts, science, literature or economics. Innovative ideas give birth to new ideas and education contributes in turning those into reality. Ideas of any field are an extension or a step above the previous accomplishment but this doesn't necessarily always hold true. Sometimes deviations from the norms are essential to stand out from the crowd. Hence, i believe that strong influences from the past can be useful but not necessary.

This belief is concluded from a lot of examples which have made historical achievements in a variety of fields. Lets begin with the latest example of 'Facebook' created by Mark Zuckerburg in 2006. This social network gained popularity by connecting almost 750 million people worldwide. Some might say that it is a modification of many other networks. But the key to its success have been its innovation and creativity. The new features and nascent ideas have flourished due to people's interest.

Similarly, let's explore some other fields. Lets take media and the movie making scenario. Movies have been made since the last century and will still be made. James Cameron is the pioneer of movie making. He has earned a strong name by making Oscar award winner movies for the past three decades. But he has earned this name not because he was influenced by past movies rather because of his adventitious spirit and futuristic ideas. James Cameron made Terminator when special effects were not even as close as famous in the industry. But the movie and series proved to be a super hit and crossed all barriers of technical boundaries. He made Avatar with the 3D technology. This was the new technology and the most expensive one as well. But his intuition and spirit helped him in achieving a pioneer status of the movie industry once again.

Though we can't explore examples from all fields in this essay but we can draw some generalizations on the basis of what we have explained. Every new achievement has to be something new, intuitive and innovative. It can be an extension of the past or a totally new invention. Therefore, i would restate that invention and influence can be a blend for achievement but invention alone can also certainly reach the zenith of accomplishment.