ARGUMENT TASK - The following appeared in a memorandum from hte planning department of an electric power company. "Several recent surveys indicate that home owners are increasingly eager to conserve energy . At the same time , manufacturers are now marke

ARGUMENT TASK -
The following appeared in a memorandum from hte planning department of an electric power company.
"Several recent surveys indicate that home owners are increasingly eager to conserve energy . At the same time , manufacturers are now marketing many home appliances such as refrigerators and air conditioners taht are almost twice as energy efficient as those sold a decade ago. Also,new technologies for better home insulation and pasive solar heating are readily available to reduce the energy neede for home heating.Therefore,the total demand for electricity in our area will not increase - and may decline slightly. Since our three electric generating plants in operation for the past 20years have always met our needs,construction of new genearting plants will not be necessary.

Write a response in which you examine the stated and unstated assumptions of the argument.Be sure to explain how the argument depends on these assumptions and what the implications are for the argument if the assumptions prove unwarranted.

The writer states that the demand for electricity will reduce and suggests to forego the plans of constructing new generators. This plausible conclusion can be justified only if the assumptions are verified thoroughly. One may need the first piece of evidence on what the surveys are all about?. what is the efficacy of the new marketing trend?. Is the new technology the best way to dodge energy consumption?.

The planning department has made a survey among the residential areas,but the particulars on the economy of the area is unclear. what are the demographic areas covered in those survey's?. what number of people tried to save energy by modifying their life style's?.It is possible that the people limited themselves to live in only one room or used portable room heaters to conserve energy. Are the survey's localised ? or nationalised?. The recommendation is weakened unless assumptions have keen discernment. The power company may be located in an industrial area where factories depend on usual basis for electric supply.The demand meets the supply,there is no loss,whereas if either of the element proves to hold back,then the problem arises.If the research is localised,the statistics may not corroborate with the energy consumption by an entire nation.

The author argues further that marketing and manufacturing new energy saving appliances could decline the dependancy on electricity.Conversely,it is essential to know the results of such implementation of new goods. Has the number of sales increases after such a change in marketing?. Are the appliances cost effective?.Consumers tend to purchase any device at affordable prices than spend loadsome amount on the same.Therefore, cost is the major factor which reflects on the sales of a company.

The passage suggests taht new technologies like passive solar heating have preserved energy . However, it is only effective if there is sufficient sunlight,which proves to be ineffective in seasons other than summer.Is it possible for an entire nation to have passive solar heators on a chilly day ? . Hence , this idea may not be the best way to economize electricity.

The authors recommendation continues only on one note whereas there are others factors to consider such implications.He proposes to purchase new appliances to save expenditure on electricity.This proposition remonstrates the fact that the expenses spent on purchasing an appliance could be more than what it is spent on energy utility.Since the house hold appliances costs boosts up during seasons of its use,one cannot rely on the authors recommendation of purchasing new products.

Moreover,the writer argues that new generating plants are not required as the needs are met by the existing equipments. This implies that what holds for the past and present,also holds true for the future.It is hard to believe that there could be no growth in that area which could at the least have an tangential effect on energy consumption.

In conclusion , the writer needs to be more specific on survey details along with being prudent on cost issues of the equipments and plan for future growth of the power plants.

Sentence: If the research is localised, the statistics may not corroborate with the energy consumption by an entire nation.
Error: localised Suggestion: localized

Sentence: The author argues further that marketing and manufacturing new energy saving appliances could decline the dependancy on electricity.
Error: dependancy Suggestion: dependency

Sentence: The passage suggests taht new technologies like passive solar heating have preserved energy.
Error: taht Suggestion: that

Don't put a space before punctuation marks.
Always put a space after punctuation marks. E-rater is sensitive.

It is wrong to put two punctuation marks together like ?.