Argument Type - The following is part of a memorandum from the president of Humana University. "Last year the number of students who enrolled in online degree programs offered by nearby Omni University increased by 50 percent. During the same year, Omni

The following is part of a memorandum from the president of Humana University.

"Last year the number of students who enrolled in online degree programs offered by nearby Omni University increased by 50 percent. During the same year, Omni showed a significant decrease from prior years in expenditures for dormitory and classroom space, most likely because online instruction takes place via the Internet. In contrast, over the past three years, enrollment at Humana University has failed to grow and the cost of maintaining buildings has increased. Thus, to increase enrollment and solve the problem of budget deficits at Humana University, we should initiate and actively promote online degree programs like those at Omni."

Write a response in which you examine the stated and/or unstated assumptions of the argument. Be sure to explain how the argument depends on these assumptions and what the implications are for the argument if the assumptions prove unwarranted.

Composition:

The arguer advocates an immediate and active promotion of online degree programs like those at Omni to increase enrollment and decrease the cost of maintaining buildings. This decision is made just on the basis of a rough comparison between Humana University and Omni University in enrollment and expenditures. However, if a all-rounded survey of the result together with the further development of the school is taken, the situation of the promotion above may not seem so optimistic and need a second thought.

First of all, comparative data of the two universities are not comprehensive and unconvincing. Because the base level of the two universities has not been given yet. Perhaps Humana University originally has a larger student population, and maintained a relatively higher level of enrolment. Maybe the quantity remains stable just for the past three years. While in Omni University, enrollment increased merely in last year for a variety of reasons, not only owing to online degree program. The arguer did not make these prerequisites clear. It is unreasonable to make such a constructive educational change after this comparison.

Second, Humana University didn’t connect the current dilemma as to decrease in freshmen number and budget deficit with their own reality. Thus a rather misleading solution came out being. Because there are a lot of reasons combined together causing the embarrassment of Humana University now. It is because reduction of the number of school-age students going to college or backwardness in online educational program.
Meanwhile Omni University has less entry requirements for online students so that many adults choose Omni University to continue their education. Since the majority of these online members attending class simply for a higher diploma, it is difficult for so many people to learn stuff really useful. Therefore the quality of these graduates cannot be match for those who complete their four-year or longer education in the formal school. Over time, this mode of rush online education will be opposed by the public sooner or later. However, the regular students of the class in class, at least one student and the school system, quality guaranteed, after their graduation, to contribute to the society are more or less.

On the contrary thanks to the school and the teacher's supervision, regular school graduates must have mastered the required knowledge. Later, they can eventually get anywhere in life when entering into society.

Furthermore, if Humana University wants to carry out e-education, do avoid copying temporarily successful model of Omni University. Instead quite a careful study into those subjects suitable or online teaching is inevitable. Then try these patterns for several terms as to spread more subjects online. Only in this way can Hunan University ensure the quality of teaching activities. In addition, an especially online reporting feature should be available for teachers in order to keep tracking trainees ‘attendance and progress.

Finally, educators should bear the aim of education in mind-- preparing prospective graduates with the necessary competencies and offering an integrated education program for all students to assure their fitness and developmental interests in subject’s and educational activities which will serve them for life. If one college meets both, regardless of whether it is loss or profit, the education is a success.

Summing up, it is best for Hunan University to think about these aspects before implementing the hasty programme to maintain its reputation as well as solve the current troubles.

Time 40min
Thank You

Sentence: Second, Humana University didn't connect the current dilemma as to decrease in freshmen number and budget deficit with their own reality.
Suggestion: Refer to freshmen and number

Sentence: However, if a all-rounded survey of the result together with the further development of the school is taken, the situation of the promotion above may not seem so optimistic and need a second thought.
Error: all-rounded Suggestion: all rounded

Sentence: Perhaps Humana University originally has a larger student population, and maintained a relatively higher level of enrolment.
Error: enrolment Suggestion: enrollment

Sentence: It is because reduction of the number of school-age students going to college or backwardness in online educational program.
Error: school-age Suggestion: school age