You are hereCritical judgment of work in any given field has little value unless it comes from someone who is an expert in that field.

Critical judgment of work in any given field has little value unless it comes from someone who is an expert in that field.

shefali saxena's picture

By shefali saxena - Posted on 02 August 2012

In any field, science, art, literature, education critical and proper judgement is necessary to evaluate the work and its progress. Judgement plays a vital role not only in the judging the nature and appropriateness of current work but also in the flourisment process of the future work.

Let us start with defining the 'critical judgement' term. Critical judgement refers to the evaluation after considering each pros and cones, each positive and negative points, strength and weakness of every sub-part of the work. If any judgement which has done only at the surface level cannot be termed as critical and thus won't be able to reflect the complete evaluation of a work and its impacts.

For a critical judgement of a particular work, it is not necessary that it is done by an expertize of that field. In my perspective a person with adequate knowledge of that field, or have an experience of that kind and with efficient judgement abilities is able for the critical judgement. For critical judgement along with the ken of knowledge of that particular field, a person should have broader vision to judge every aspect like whether work's attributes, its impacts in present and future, its merits and demerits and many more.

Consider an example of judgement of production quality of certain company. It can be either done by an expertize of that kind of production or by a person who has enough knowledge of that production, its attributes and shortcomings. But for critical judgement it is also required to seek opinion of common man who are using the product of the company. They can help in getting the truth whether the quality is truely good as claimed by the company and its merits and demerits.

So it is not mandatory that critical judgement of a work can be done by a person who is expert in that field. It can be done by the person out of the field, but what is necessary to make the judgement valuable and effective is, judgement should be done after thoroughly inspecting all the elements of the work. The judgement should cover all the critics for the proper evaluation so that work can be further nourished or improved in the future if require.