The following appeared in a memorandum to faculty from the academic vice president of Waymarsh University. "So that we can better accomplish Waymarsh University's academic goals, we should adopt the job-opportunity (job-op) program offered at Plateau Tech

The following appeared in a memorandum to faculty from the academic vice president of Waymarsh University.

"So that we can better accomplish Waymarsh University's academic goals, we should adopt the job-opportunity (job-op) program offered at Plateau Technical College and strongly encourage all students at Waymarsh to participate in it. The success of the job-op program at Plateau is evident: over the past two years, more than 75% of the freshmen at Plateau have enrolled in the optional job-op program. Moreover, at Plateau, the grades of job-op students are consistently higher than those of other students, 90% of the job-op students receive job offers within a month after their graduation, and most former job-op students report much success in their careers." - GRE Argument 97

In this memo a Waymarsh University administrator recommends that in order to achieve its academic goals Waymarsh should adopt the same "job-op" program currently offered at Plateau Technical College. To support this recommendation, the administrator points out a high enrollment rate in the program at Plateau, high academic grades among Plateau students enrolled in the program compared to other Plateau students, and a high success rate among new Plateau graduates in finding jobs. The administrator's argument is unconvincing for several reasons.

First of all, the administrator does not infor...