The general welfare of a nation s people is a better indication of that nation s greatness than are the achievements of its rulers artists or scientists Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the claim In deve

The general welfare of a nation's people is a better indication of that nation's greatness than are the achievements of its rulers, artists, or scientists.

Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the claim. In developing and supporting your position, be sure to address the most compelling reasons and/or examples that could be used to challenge your position.

Every nation has successful personalities who have achieved feats that cannot be matched by their peers or will not be equated by our future generations for quite some time. But have their discoveries or achievements benefited the society as a whole or only a privileged few? A country cannot be judged on success of only a few hence it is true that welfare of a nation's people is the indication of nation's greatness.

It is the duty of leaders of a nation to prosper the common people, and not focus only on the development of cream of the population. For example Indian and Pakistan are fighting for piece of land for more than a fifty years now. Both nations have a aim here to show the might of their army, especially in case of the army generals it is only a competition to show who is a better war lord. This has only brought loss to both nations. India has a lot to show in terms of their achievements in battle but most people over look the fact that lot of people have suffered. India should in fact be focusing on finding a way to stop this quarrel and look for betterment of the people in this region.

Another example would be the business men of India. There are Indians in Forbes list that according to a lot of political leaders today in power is an indication of the prosperity of the nation. This is only a joke as majority of the population is struggling to make ends meet. Thus the showy billionaires are not the indication of the nation's state today. When compared to other developed and developing countries who have focused to improvement of common man, we can say that those are the ones headed in the right direction.

To truly call a nation great, it is necessary to judge the country by it's average literacy growth, the growth of small business men, the availability of resources to the common people at acceptable costs and all other factors the give a view of how the nation as a whole is progressing. The most important factor which is employment, will be the indication of how much the common man has been benefiting form the achievements of its leaders.

It can be said a nation will create successful scientist, artists only when it's people have opportunities and infrastructure, and a ruler can only achieve by keeping it's people together. But more often than not we find the trend of 'rich getting richer and poor getting poorer' in most nations. Thus success of only a few achievers doesn't give the accurate picture.

To sum, one needs to take into account the state of common man in a nation in order to judge it as any success is incomplete until it has benefited the society. So it would not be wrong to say the nations greatness is indicated by general welfare of common people.