The invention of gunpowder was the single most destructive achievement in history

Gun powder is the creation of mankind to defeat, subdue and control kingdoms. It was invented by man as a means of ascertaining his authority over his perceived enemies, within and outside his territory. It has helped to further increase man's inhumanity to man.

First and foremost, gun powder as it is known is used to power guns; without it, guns would be just another tool of invention with no importance. In the era of the slave trade, gun powder was known to be the main attraction to the ruler of the communities the slave traders were interested in getting their slaves. The community leaders got carried away by the novel invention and its accompanying partner-gun that was presented to them. They exchanged their kinsmen and people for gun powder. Thus, that was how the history of African were altered. So many communities were destroyed by gun powered by gun powder in order for slave trade to blossom.

Also in the medieval era, wars and rumours of wars were very intense. Kingdoms were being captured and destroyed to increase political power and expand kingdoms. For such tasks to be achieved, weapons were needed and gun powder was the prevalent weapons at that time. Humans souls were lost, properties destroyed, kingdoms destroyed and some became extinct after they were left uninhabited.

In addition, guns have caused intense and harmful damages to human body parts in periods of war. Many body parts were maimed or even amputated due to the gruesome negative effect of gun made effective by the active ingredient called “gun powder”.
Moreover, families and kindred have been effaced due to the use of guns powered bu gun powder. A man could watch his entire family wiped out in seconds by guns. Nowadays, guns are everywhere. In some countries, it is lawful to take possession of guns. Gun powder has helped to further worsen history of mankind than improve it.

However, other weapons and tools developed by mankind have in one way or the other caused destructive effect in the history of mankind but it cannot be compared to that caused by gunpowder. If the effects guns and another weapons like swords are compared as seen in epic movies, it is observed that the number of people killed through the use of guns are more than those felled by swords.

In summary, gun powder was developed by man as a weapon to guide against intrusion of his territory and to exert his authority. History of man cannot be said without mentioning the effect of gun powder. It has left an indelible mark on the threshold of mankind history.