The luxuries and conveniences of contemporary life prevent people from developing into truly strong and independent individuals.Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the statement and explain your reasoning f

The luxuries and conveniences of contemporary life prevent people from developing into truly strong and independent individuals.

Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the statement and explain your reasoning for the position you take. In developing and supporting your position, you should consider ways in which the statement might or might not hold true and explain how these considerations shape your position.

The author states that the luxuries and conveniences of the contemporary life prevent people from developing into truly strong and independent individuals. In my opinion this statement is the reality of life in current world. Each and every one of us have become dependent on petty things in life for our day to day activities and would become completely handicapped without them.

The life we lead today is completely dependent on basic necessities that if unavailable, make us shallow. For example let us consider electricity, which has become the most integral part of our life. Everything we use today from the geyser for hot water to air conditioner for maintaining room temperature or from microwave oven to computers, they all run on electricity. If there is power cut for only an hour, all our routine gets hampered and we frantically keep calling the power station to resume the power. It has made us so dependent that none of us can even take a nap if there is no electricity.

Let us consider another example of a vehicle that was invented for basic transportation needs of the human race, that has now developed into a status symbol. The more luxurious the vehicle the more dependent the individual. In olden days people used to travel on foot or via a bicycle for miles together. After the development of motorized vehicles people started using them and today have reached to point where they cannot travel even to the next lane without using a vehicle. This has not only made them dependent on the machine but also has remarkably reduced the physical strength.

There are many other such examples from our luxurious lifestyle today that not only have made us dependent but also have made us loose our strong headed nature towards life. These petty things such as electricity, a vehicle, fan, and many more have for sure made our life easier but also made us so dependent on them that we become handicapped without them. Hence, these elements of life prevent us from being independent and truly strong.