in order for any work of art-- for example, a film, a novel, a poem or a song--to have merit, it must be understandable to most people.

This statement tries to link the evaluation of any work of art with popularity and comprehension by masses. In the realm of art, unlike science, sports, and history, no matter what form of art is, art is regarded as an abstract form of representing the world and one’s own feeling and consciousness. If art cannot be understood, art itsself would lose its own merit and the creator of art may be frustrated. Nevertheless, the understanding of art varies from people to people. Since there are different understandings of art, it is necessary for us to realize that the purpose of great work of art ...

Sentence: However, there are a thousand Hamlets in a thousand eyes; the word understand is pertinent to a subjective feeling.
Description: The fragment word understand is is rare
Suggestion: Possible agreement error: Replace understand with verb, present tense, 3rd person singular

Sentence: If art cannot be understood, art itsself would lose its own merit and the creator of art may be frustrated.
Error: itsself Suggestion: itself

Sentence: Therefore, the soul of art is to utilize such means of representation as to emblem one's abstract and even complicated consiousness, and therefore to spread it abroad.
Error: consiousness Suggestion: consciousness

No. of Words: 859 350 (less words. write the essay in half an hour)

It is on top list:
http://www.testbig.com/essay-categories/gmatgre