You are here"Over the past ten years, there has been a 20 percent decline in the size of the average audience at Classical Shakespeare Theatre productions. In spite of increased advertising, we are attracting fewer and fewer people to our shows, causing our profits t

"Over the past ten years, there has been a 20 percent decline in the size of the average audience at Classical Shakespeare Theatre productions. In spite of increased advertising, we are attracting fewer and fewer people to our shows, causing our profits t

nakul123's picture

By nakul123 - Posted on 29 October 2012

"Over the past ten years, there has been a 20 percent decline in the size of the average audience at Classical Shakespeare Theatre productions. In spite of increased advertising, we are attracting fewer and fewer people to our shows, causing our profits to decrease significantly. We must take action to attract new audience members. The best way to do so is by instituting a 'Shakespeare in the Park' program this summer. Two years ago the nearby Avon Repertory Company started a 'Free Plays in the Park' program, and its profits have increased 10 percent since then. Therefore, I recommend that we start a 'Shakespeare in the Park' program of our own. If we do so, I predict that our profits will also see a significant increase."

In order to attract more audiences, marketing director of Classical Shakespeare Theatre (CST) asserts to commence a new program 'Shakespeare in the Park' . His assertion is based on success of the Avon Repertory Company (ARC), which have started such a program two years ago. Definitely, to assess this recommendation CST authorities would have find answers of following questions: To how much extent the success of ARC was contingent on 'Free plays in Park' program? Secondly, will 'Shakespeare in the Park' would be in agreement of audiences' taste?

Although there was a rise of 10% in profits of ARC after commencement of 'Free plays in Park'; but, this is not enough to prove that new program was solely responsible for this raised profit. It is also possible that some other schemes of ARC would actually had been responsible for this success. For example, reduction in irritating advertisements had pleased people to attend this program. In any case, if it is found that 'Free plays in Park' was not really responsible for thriving profits of ARC, director's recommendation would be severely undermined. While in opposite case, i.e. if evidences supporting that 'Free plays in Park' was really responsible for ARC's success, director's argument would seem cogent.

Moreover, it also important to see whether the starting this new program would be effective in attracting new audiences as expected or it. AVC had implemented 'Free plays in Park' two years earlier; since from that time might had changed drastically. In two years mood of public may be reluctant for theater plays; this new generation of audience may prefer digital media over conventional theater plays. In this case again, recommendation would be weakened; and starting 'Shakespeare in the Park' can be cause for CST to be in debts. However, if director is able to prove that public is interested in this theater theme (especially, through means of some survey) , director's recommendation would be strengthened in this case. Therefore, CST authorities should consider people's choice before arriving at any conclusion.

Conclusively, before accepting or rejecting this recommendation CST authorities need to consider following things:
First, significance of 'Free plays in Park' in profits of AVC. Second, prediction of audiences' interest for 'Shakespeare in Park' program. Perhaps, if these factors are found to be in favor of recommendation, I think there is no harm to try it. However, if these factors are found to be against the argument, definitely, CST should not risk its funds for this program.