Several charitable organizations in Pleasantville provide opportunities for teenagers to engage in community service. These organizations have a great need for volunteers, but in recent years, the number of teenage volunteers has significantly declined.Th

Several charitable organizations in Pleasantville provide opportunities for teenagers to engage in community service. These organizations have a great need for volunteers, but in recent years, the number of teenage volunteers has significantly declined.

The Pleasantville School Board should take measures to increase the number of volunteers. Teachers, parents, and other community members agree that it is important for young people to learn the value of community service. Requiring high school students to engage in community service would provide much-needed assistance to worthy local charities and would also help young people understand the importance of giving back to their community. For this reason, the Pleasantville School Board should institute a program requiring students of Pleasantville High School to complete 40 hours of community service prior to graduation.

Write a response in which you examine the stated and/or unstated assumptions of the argument. Be sure to explain how the argument depends on the assumptions and what the implications are if the assumptions prove unwarranted.

While it maybe true that Pleasantville School Board should institute a program requiring students of Pleasantville High School to complete 40 hours of community service prior to graduation, the author makes a number of unsubstantiated assumptions to make such a decision. The argument is rife with holes and assumptions and is flawed.

A compulsory service may rather discourage the students than instilling in them the spirit of helping the society. Forcing the students to complete 40 hours may prove to be harmful for the overall development of the students rather than helping them and the community. They may start regarding community service as something unpleasant.

The program may force the students to serve the charitable organizations not out of interest but just as a step to complete their graduation. The quality of service is also very important. The students may not contribute and work well since they may be looking to get out of it once their 40 hours are over. This will not help the charitable organization.

The author does not provide an insight into the reasons for the decline in the number of teenage volunteers. The root cause for the decline should be analysed . It maybe that students are not getting enough time to volunteer despite their interest. Hence a part of the school curriculum must be allocated for community service rather than instituting a compulsory program.

The students should be taught about the value of serving the society and helping the needy. Value education should be a compulsory subject in the curriculum. They should be taught how community service will help them and improve their lives. This should instill a natural spirit in the students rather than forcing them to participate in community service.

The 40 hours of community service may affect the students’ studies. They may not have enough study-time because of the community service which may harm their future. It is not clear how the teenagers can help the charitable organizations. They may not be skilled enough to serve the community.

The program requiring the students to complete 40 hours of community service prior to graduation may not be the only measure required to increase community service in Pleasantville. The author should look into other methods to encourage the students to participate in community service. While it maybe true that a program should be implemented the author should support his conclusion with more data. Were it the case, his conclusion would have been more logical.

Sentence: The root cause for the decline should be analysed .
Error: analysed Suggestion: analyzed