Several charitable organizations in Pleasantville provide opportunities for teenagers to engage in community service. These organizations have a great need for volunteers, but in recent years, the number of teenage volunteers has significantly declined. T

Several charitable organizations in Pleasantville provide opportunities for teenagers to engage in community service. These organizations have a great need for volunteers, but in recent years, the number of teenage volunteers has significantly declined.

The Pleasantville School Board should take measures to increase the number of volunteers. Teachers, parents, and other community members agree that it is important for young people to learn the value of community service. Requiring high school students to engage in community service would provide much-needed assistance to worthy local charities and would also help young people understand the importance of giving back to their community. For this reason, the Pleasantville School Board should institute a program requiring students of Pleasantville High School to complete 40 hours of community service prior to graduation.

Write a response in which you examine the stated and/or unstated assumptions of the argument. Be sure to explain how the argument depends on the assumptions and what the implications are if the assumptions prove unwarranted.

The charitable organizations in Pleasantville providing opportunities for teenagers to engage in community service face a setback, due to the decline in teenage volunteers in recent years. The reasons for the decline in the teenage volunteers are not stated.

First and foremost, it is essential that the charitable organizations find out why the number of teenage volunteers declined. Nothing is said about the types of services provided by the charitable organizations. Perhaps, teenage volunteers were no longer interested in those types of services and maybe introducing several other types of services may woo back the teenage volunteers. It is also possible that other distractions or facilities may have opened up in Pleasantville such as swimming pools, playgrounds, gymnasiums etc that might have pulled the teenagers to their premises. The charitable organizations should chalk out ways to attract teenage volunteers if they are in need of the latter.

The argument states that the Pleasantville School Board should take responsibility to increase the number of volunteers. In the first place, to assume that the School Board would be interested to help out the charitable organizations weakens the argument. It is said that the School Board should institute a program requiring students of Pleasantville High School to complete 40 hours of community service prior to graduation. It is unwarranted to assume that all high school students would be interested in taking up the program and some students may also find 40 hours to be too much for them.

It is healthy for young people to learn the importance of giving back to the community and this is a general opinion held by teachers, parents and community members in Pleasantville but nothing is said whether those people would support the action taken by the school board of instituting the community services program.

Sentence: It is said that the School Board should institute a program requiring students of Pleasantville High School to complete 40 hours of community service prior to graduation.
Description: The word institute is not usually used as a verb, base: uninflected present, imperative or infinitive
Suggestion: Refer to institute

Sentence: It is healthy for young people to learn the importance of giving back to the community and this is a general opinion held by teachers, parents and community members in Pleasantville but nothing is said whether those people would support the action taken by the school board of instituting the community services program.
Suggestion: Refer to services and program