A true university education encompasses far more than the narrow specialized study of a single discipline. Only through exploring the broad spectrum of liberal arts courses can students become truly learned.

A well-educated person is one who has the knowledge about different fields. But a true university education should concentrate mainly on the person’s specialized study. He should first become an expert in that and then take up courses on arts. The knowledge of his specialized discipline will help him better for the advancement of his career. His growth lies in his understanding of his field rather than the liberal arts.

A person’s interests play a very significant role in his understanding of a topic. He may not be interested in the courses of liberal arts. One should not be forced to take these up. These courses should not take up his study time since they may be difficult for him to assimilate. He should be given options so as to choose liberal arts courses or not. Hence a university curriculum should be formulated such that a person can get the maximum amount of knowledge from his field of interest. The arts courses should be optional so that even if a person takes up the art courses, he takes it solely out of interest.

Arts courses may not be interesting for students from non-arts disciplines. They should not take up these courses just because they are mandatory for them since the courses are mentioned in the curriculum. This would totally destroy the objective with which the arts courses were introduced in the first place.

Though more importance should be given to a person’s specialized field, liberal arts courses also contribute to the all-round development of an individual. He should have a wide knowledge of all disciplines. This will help him in his life and tackle the problems from many different perspectives. He would also be learned in different streams other than his own specialized field.

The arts courses may also provide a respite from the monotonous subjects that a person has everyday in his field of interest. He may develop a liking to the arts courses also, if they are introduced in the curriculum. The broad spectrum of the liberal art courses may help the person to have an understanding about all fields.

Though the liberal arts courses may help one in his overall development, it is important that a university graduate is excellent in his specialized study rather than just have an idea about all the fields for “the jack of all trades is the master of none”.