To understand the most important characteristics of a society, one must study its major cities

Cities and places have always been the evidence for history of nations and their characteristics. This argument is short sighted but logical at the same time. No one can deny the fact of the importance of major cities. However this should not be limited to major cities only, it has to include major and minor cities and villages in the countries. Therefore I do not totally agree with the statement, as to study the most important characteristics of a society, one must study its major and minor cities and villages.

Firstly, sometimes it will be very hard to recognize or shape characteristics of a society by studying one of its major cities. If we take New York City as an example, it is one of the cities that are considered one of the most cosmopolitan cities in the world. Hundreds of different nationalities live in New York City that is why it is believed to be one of the diverse cities of the world. That is one of the evidences that undermine the assumption that to understand characteristics of a society, one must study its major cities. Therefore New York will be the least city of studying and understanding the American society.

Secondly, studying important cities will help us understand some of the characteristics of the city, and the way of living of its inhabitants not the society of the country. Major cities like London, New York and Paris shows the characteristics of the people living there. People living in Paris are said to be very romantic and calm due to the nature of the city, they go to parks and have their snacks and dinner after work. On the other hand, New Yorkers are very practical, always busy they do not have time during their week days and that is why depending mainly on fast food. While studying characteristics of people living in London they are gloomy and not friendly because of its cold gloomy weather most of the year.

Last but not least, most of the major cities are the political and financial center of the country. That is the reason behind their failure to represent the main characteristics of the society. For instance in Egypt to understand the characteristics of the Egyptian society one must study the small cities in Upper Egypt that represent the ancient Egyptian culture and society. Conversely focusing on its capital Cairo, it will show only the contemporary situation of the city.

Finally, to sum up studying major cities will give a flawed and misguided study of the characteristics of the society since it focuses on the modern and contemporary situation of the cities and ignores the rest of the population. In addition to studying major cities will show features of inhabitants and citizens because many of the big cities are cosmopolitan and diverse. Therefore to understand most important characteristics of a society , one must study not only major cities but also minor cities to ensure representing the whole population.

Still need to polish sentences.