Universities should require every student to take a variety of courses outside the student's field of study

There are two types of growths that a student is likely to experience, Vertical and horizontal. Vertical growth refers to learning and progressing deep in one particular field of study. Horizontal growth means touching all different fields of study while maintaining the progress in main field of interest. To some extent universities require its students to be developed in all perspectives and hence they should explore courses other than those limited to their field. However, it need not be essential or a necessary condition which universities must follow for every student.

As mentioned above, horizontal growth gives a student equal opportunity to outperform in various fields. Also it would develop the students' overall personality as he has the liberty to experience the merits of vivid fields. Mean while students may also discover new avenues of career from all perspectives. For instance, a student of computer science who takes up human relations as a part of course later may be interested in a managerial job.

Extending further, the benefit of taking up other courses might not always be as significant as mentioned in above example. However, different courses give different knowledge and thus incapacitate a student to analyze a real world situation from every angle. This in turn helps grow his personality. There are cases when students of engineering remain unaware of the fields like economics and thus are unable to deal with day to day issues that are closely related to economics.

However, the main aim of a university is to impart the best education to its students in the field they have chosen and also making its students competent enough to excel in the field. The students who are brilliant in their field and who want to pursue further research studies in the same field, it would be burdensome and uninteresting for them to study other courses. Taking up other courses just on account of university compulsion would also hamper progress of such students in their own fields. After all one must not turn up being Jack of all and master of none.

Summarizing the issue, though it is beneficial to have students study various courses, it is not necessary for every student to study courses outside his field. Making it compulsory for every student might result in dissuading students who are brilliant in their own field and are likely to contribute some research. Hence, Universities should rather give a choice to students than to make it a requirement.