Woven baskets characterized by a particular distinctive pattern have previously been found only in the immediate vicinity of the prehistoric village of Palea and therefore were believed to have been made only by the Palean people. Recently, however, archaeologists discovered such a "Palean" basket in Lithos, an ancient village across the Brim River from Palea. The Brim River is very deep and broad, and so the ancient Paleans could have crossed it only by boat, and no Palean boats have been found. Thus it follows that the so-called Palean baskets were not uniquely Palean.
Write a response in which you discuss what specific evidence is needed to evaluate the argument and explain how the evidence would weaken or strengthen the argument.
As we have seen with the cases of prehistoric studies of relics and human culture, variety of conclusion are based upon assumptions, which in current date cannot be completely validated and are always open to debate. However any argument or analysis which states the assumptions and its likelihood, is always prone to less scrutiny than others. The above argument only consists of one reason that a river would have prevented the intermixing of culture and that too on the negative relation of lack of palean boats, does not look conclusive.
Just like the earlier assumption that was based upon the non availability of Palean baskets else where, which lead to deduction that palean baskets were unique was revised upon recent finding of palean baskets on the other side of river. Similarly in case of discovery of Palean Boats along with other unknown evidences which can alter our current conceptions, can lead the author of this argument to reexamine its position. Hence wee see that unless and until sound evidences which promotes a positive relation towards any conclusion is found, we cannot say that the palean baskets were not uniquely palean.
Also the argument lacks the era in which Palean civilizationxisted because as we have seen that geographical changes in the crust of earth can create a River flow or might dry up a river . So what might be looking as a formidable barrier to the intermixing of Palean Culture on both sides of river may not have existed in the first place. Rendering this argument completely facile. Since this factor very strongly concerns the arguments central premise, it needs to be answered positively.
In totality only thing that can be said about palean baskets is that, it has been predominantly found in the palean civilization and one instance of such is also located in Lithos and that is on the other side of the river, which opens new questions about the uniqueness of the Palean Baskets , Whether the baskets were unique only to Palean Culture or was a common occurrence in all near by places. Unless and until such voids of uncertainty be filled , nothing conclusive can be said.
The argument as such is full of loop holes and does not look promising and is inherently flawed.
- In any situation, progress requires discussion among people who have contrasting points of view.Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the statement and explain your reasoning for the position you take. In dev 72
- Nations should pass laws to preserve any remaining wilderness areas in their natural state, even if these areas could be developed for economic gain 90
- Educational institutions have a responsibility to dissuade students from pursuing fields of study in which they are unlikely to succeed.Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the claim. In developing and suppo 70
- It is no longer possible for a society to regard any living man or woman as a hero.Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the claim. In developing and supporting your position, be sure to address the most comp 85
- Understanding the past is of little use to those in current positions of leadership.Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the statement and explain your reasoning for the position you take. In developing and 93
1. The author fails to consider the possibility that the Paleans may arrived in Lithos through other means.
2. The Palean basket could arrive other place through many possible methods such as trade, or boats possessed by other culture.
3. In Palean times, the Brim River may not be as deep and broad as it is currently.
4. The fact that there are abundant resources currently does not indicate that those resources also existed in Palean times.
Attribute Value Ideal
Score: 4.5 out of 6
Category: Good Excellent
No. of Grammatical Errors: 0 2
No. of Spelling Errors: 0 2
No. of Sentences: 13 15
No. of Words: 377 350
No. of Characters: 1820 1500
No. of Different Words: 195 200
Fourth Root of Number of Words: 4.406 4.7
Average Word Length: 4.828 4.6
Word Length SD: 2.588 2.4
No. of Words greater than 5 chars: 125 100
No. of Words greater than 6 chars: 89 80
No. of Words greater than 7 chars: 58 40
No. of Words greater than 8 chars: 37 20
Use of Passive Voice (%): 0 0
Avg. Sentence Length: 29 21.0
Sentence Length SD: 15.797 7.5
Use of Discourse Markers (%): 0.615 0.12
Sentence-Text Coherence: 0.357 0.35
Sentence-Para Coherence: 0.628 0.50
Sentence-Sentence Coherence: 0.103 0.07
Number of Paragraphs: 5 5