“Educational institutions have a responsibility to dissuade students from pursuing fields of study in which they are unlikely to succeed.”Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the claim. In developing yo

“Educational institutions have a responsibility to dissuade students from pursuing fields of study in which they are unlikely to succeed.”

Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the claim. In developing your position, be sure to address the most compelling reasons and/or examples that could be used to challenge your position.

This topic raises the controversial idea that educational institutions should be gatekeepers in deciding which fields of study their students should pursue. Indisputably, academic counselors exist to help guide students on their ‘ideal’ career pathway, partially in hopes of expediting the number of courses they will take towards graduation. Nevertheless, no educational institution exists that can measure or predict a student’s potential to succeed with absolute certainty; a person who struggles in a particular subject may very well go onto become successful in that subject-related career. Additionally, the term ‘success’ can be interpreted in various ways, and may not always translate into financial wealth. Thus, I would argue that students should not be discouraged by academic systems to study a certain discipline they feel passionate about, whether they show initial promise or not.

First of all, there have been a plethora of famous individuals who have struggled to find immediate success in their academic or artistic pursuits but who have found renowned success following their trials and tribulations. Albert Einstein, Vincent Van Gogh, Leonardo Da Vinci, and Thomas Edison are just a few prime examples of influential and historic figures who embodied that very same career arc. Had they been deprived of their vocation after the initial stages of failure they all endured, the ramifications in the world of science and art would be incomprehensible. As such, students should not be swayed by universities to abandon their goals due to initial missteps or failed courses in their regarded disciplines. Doing so would run the risk of depleting the science and art community of future contributions and breakthroughs.

Furthermore, success can be measured beyond the scope of mere monetary gain – a concept most universities would only attribute to a successful career. But this view is limited in that it ignores the individuals who would deem a successful career as one that creates works of art that would have a resounding and enduring impact on their audiences, and also ignores the individuals who would idealize a life of service to be a successful mission. Vincent Van Gogh lived most of his adult life in penury, selling only one painting while he was alive. Today, he is considered one of, if not the most influential post-impressionist whose artwork has continued to be revered and emulated among modern artists. In addition, there are those who contribute to society with little or no remuneration in mind. School teachers, social workers, plumbers, day laborers, and community volunteers are all but a few examples of professionals who are successful in fostering the well-being of others.

Admittedly, students who face difficulty in their courses should be adequately counseled by their academic institutions. This would be especially true in students who exhibit a pattern of failed attempts in a certain subject. However, even in this scenario does not mean counselors have the audacity, or the right, to send the message of inevitable failure to these students. Instead, alternative and/or supplemental methods of study ought to be given to students during their times of hardship. If Albert Einstein was convinced he would only find success in a trade school during his formative years, the world of science would be without his groundbreaking and revolutionary contributions; gravity would not have been given meaning as it is now known, nuclear power would not have been realized during WWII, and the Nobel Prize would never have been awarded to him.

In conclusion, although academic counselors should always be present to help their students, they should not dissuade them in pursuing their field of studies because success does not always seem imminent. It is impossible for any institution to predict the success of a person, let alone students in their midst of self-discovery. Success should not only be defined by financial gain, as it has been accustomed to be known. It comes in many forms, and may also prove to be elusive in the beginning for many. A key idea for educational institutions to instill in the minds of their students would be to study whatever passion they feel most strongly about, and see where it leads them in the future. Adopted mindsets like this would be a better predictor of successful contributors to society.

-------------
arguments: OK
-------------

No. of Words: 702 350 //the introduction and conclusion paragraph are too long.