Some people believe that college students should consider only their own talents and interests when choosing a field of study. Others believe that college students should base their choice of a field of study on the availability of jobs in that field.

The dilemma of which field of study should be pursued by the college students is an enduring issue that everyone faces it in his or her life. There is a spectrum of opinion to solve this dilemma; while some prefer the availability of jobs, others prioritize the talents and interests of the students.

To begin with, choosing jobs over the interests and the talents of the students has its own reasons. When people are poverty stricken, the lack of money deprives them from pursuing the dreams of their life. By a realistic approach, we would find such a sacrifice justifiable; according to Maslow’s Hierarchy of Desires, and of course common sense, first we need to come up with some money for our physiological needs such as foods. Obviously, if such a desire is not met, there would be no room to pursue any talent or interest.

Furthermore, it is with finding jobs that individuals gain social respect, self-confidence, and independence. The interest of an individual may wane facing many vicissitudes of life. Nowadays as far as people are identified with their jobs, they are not recognized otherwise. “Who are you?” has nearly the same answer to the question that “what do you do?” Thus, finding the jobs has its pivotal roles in life of students that should not be denied.

However, when the interest becomes an unmitigated passion, things can change. Consider Steve jobs, he could work in any places, but instead, his passion enabled him to tolerate the situations and keep on pursuing his dreams. Although he dropped out of the college, but he continued on the field of computer engineering and made several breakthroughs. It is then that _jobs_ seek _Jobs_ and not vice versa. He became an entrepreneur that provided jobs for many who are like him: Talented and interested. Therefore, we can see that how much interest and talents can overcome vicissitudes and even provide jobs for many people.

Finally, I believe that a balanced approach of the both views would stand a good stead for the student choosing a field for his/her future. When there is not poverty, the students can enumerate their interest, and among their favorite fields they can choose the one for which jobs are more frequent. With having this approach, we get closer to a win-win situation, since we would not need to sacrifice of either interests and talents or job availability.

In short, as discussed, the importance of interests, talents, and jobs’ availability are all high that we cannot ascertain which is more important. Contingent on the financial situation of a student, sometimes it is justifiable to deny the interest and talent. However, in normal situation we should consider both views and take a balanced choice.

Although he dropped out of the college, but he continued on the field
Although he dropped out of the college, he continued on the field

When there is not poverty,
When there is no poverty,