Some people believe that in order to be effective, political leaders must yield to public opinion and abandon principle for the sake of compromise. Others believe that the most essential quality of an effective leader is the ability to remain consistently

Some people believe that in order to be effective, political leaders must yield to public opinion and abandon principle for the sake of compromise. Others believe that the most essential quality of an effective leader is the ability to remain consistently committed to particular principles and objectives.

The role of a leader is to provide and satisfy the public with policies that are based on the politician’s principles and objectives. However, the reality is not simple enough for the public opinion and the politician’s ideology to match perfectly. Whether the virtue of a politician is yielding to public opinion or maintaining his principles have been a debate for a long time, consequently. I think that it is more important for a leader to adhere to their commitment to particular principles and objectives.

Granted, to retain influence as a politician, it is important to yield to public opinion. If politicians do not embrace opinions of the public, citizens will in result become disaffected. It will mainly be attributed to no improvement in their quality of life or no rectification of unjust phenomena. For an extreme example, take North Korea’s Jeong-Eun Kim. He is strictly focused on the diffusion of communism to the whole Korean peninsula. The extreme poverty his citizens are requiring to solve is being totally ignored. As a result, North Korea’s government is deemed to be so unstable and become subverted in ten years.

However, the fundamental meaning of working as a politician is to embody in one’s ideology. A politician with ambition has a resolute thought that the nation should progress in a certain direction to develop and act on the basis of this. So, to become an effective leader, which can be interpreted as a person adept at actualizing his ideas, it is crucial for a political leader to decide on policies with constant commitment to his particular idea. Lenin, for example, was highly skilled in actualizing communism. From propagating the ideas of communism to the public and to establishing the party of communism, he had successfully commanded at the front. He is historically regarded as an effective political leader.

Furthermore, a politician’s ability to adhere to his particular principles is pivotal in means of retaining his followers. If the politician keeps on acting on basis of no resolute principles, he will not be able to avoid criticism from the public as a whole, even though they have benefited from his acts. This will result in no resolute followers.

In conclusion, the opinion that an effective political leader should maintain its commitment to particular principles and objectives aligns more with my position. However, it is still important that public opinions should be yielded to because the meaning of politics incorporates the welfare of the nation’s citizens. Appropriate compromising should be the utmost goal of a politician to become regarded as an efficient leader.